1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 6:03 AM by philmodjunk

FM

Simonletts

Title

FM & SQL Backend

Hi, our business has bought File Maker Pro 12 (not server), developed it on a local PC, already created a load of forms\data and wants to roll it out to our wider business. We in IT are saying we might be able to give better support if the back end data was on one of our SQL Server 2008 R2 servers (esp in terms of backups and availability).

Can you please let me know if we'd get much benefit from doing this, and whether you know of a migration tool to move all the data in the FM files into a SQL Server 2008 R2 Database. We'd want the front end apps\forms etc to continue as they were built. 

Thanks

• 1. Re: FM & SQL Backend
          philmodjunk

Can't say if you'd benefit or not. That's too general of a question. What aspects of using SQL as a back end make it look like a better option to you?

I would think SQL Server's own tools will work to import data from FileMaker. You can export data from FileMaker into tab or csv files and I would imagine SQL Server can import data from such files into tables in SQL Server.