2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 11:11 PM by jefke

FM 10 - Value list from external databases

jefke

Title

FM 10 - Value list from external databases

Hi All,

Since FM 10 it is possible to create value lists based on data from external databases.

I dowloaded the trail version of FM 10 Pro and the external datasources are still grayed out for me.

Are there special steps I need to do to activate this?

Note: I also have FM 9.5 Advanced installed on the same machine

Thanks,

Jef

• 1. Re: FM 10 - Value list from external databases
          philmodjunk

Actually it's been possible to create value lists that draw their values from external files since way back in FMP 5.5 and earlier. :smileywink:

"I downloaded the trail version of FM 10 Pro and the external datasources are still grayed out for me. Are there special steps I need to do to activate this?"

What exactly is grayed out? The External Data Sources option under File | Manage? Or are you working with Manage | Value lists and attempting to specify the value list from an external file?

Either way, I don't see why this would be disabled in the trial version.

• 2. Re: FM 10 - Value list from external databases
            jefke

Hi All,

I was looking at the wrong option 'Use Value List from another file' and there the option of ODBC db's is disabled, which is logical :smileysad:.

I'm using SQL Server as a database and now I'm able to get values from my db as values for the Value List using the first option 'Use Value from field'.

Thanks,

Jef