9 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 2:00 AM by Federico

FM 11 crash with specific file, can't solve

Federico

Title

FM 11 crash with specific file, can't solve

Hi, my name is Federico. I work with FileMaker 11 Advanced in Mac OSX 10.6.3.

FileMaker crashes very often while i am working on a specific solution, and runs properly with other files. I tried to clone an older backup (i had to redo some work) but, after some hours of work, problems again.

I am developing this solution in data-interface separation. I have only 4 tables and about 10 layouts and scripts, for the moment. This solution was created with FM 10 Advanced, and after the update i began to work on it with FM 11. There are only few records for testing, but there is a layout with about 400 fields and 6 portals. I use container fields to make buttons: for a while i supposed they were the cause of my troubles, so i remade them after cloning again the files. Same story: everything ok for some hours, than FM crashed when i resumed my computer from Stop; reopened the files, i was modifying a portal when crashed again. I've noticed that often crashes when i modify the 400 fields layout. May the problem depend on the big number of fields?

Another thing: i've modified the relational graph to fit it to anchor-buoy rules. But i didn't need to change so much...

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: FM 11 crash with specific file, can't solve
          philmodjunk

If you are using data-separation, did you replace both files with backups?

Your older backup may also be corrupted. Can you find an older copy?

Have you tried recovering the file. What did the recover report? Does the recovered copy work correctly?

While best practice is to replace damaged files with backups, sometimes you are faced with the unpleasant options of either starting over, using a recovered copy or using the recover log to identify and delete suspect parts of the file until it recovers cleanly and then rebuilding the missing parts.

• 2. Re: FM 11 crash with specific file, can't solve
            Federico

PhilModJunk wrote:

If you are using data-separation, did you replace both files with backups?

Your older backup may also be corrupted. Can you find an older copy?

Have you tried recovering the file. What did the recover report? Does the recovered copy work correctly?

While best practice is to replace damaged files with backups, sometimes you are faced with the unpleasant options of either starting over, using a recovered copy or using the recover log to identify and delete suspect parts of the file until it recovers cleanly and then rebuilding the missing parts.

Yes, i replaced both files with backup. Use an older backup implies too much work loss.

I tried a recovery of both files, including a coherence check, but everything is ok for FileMaker.

Someone suggested that some indexes may have been corrupted when i changed some relations criteria. I'll force FM to re-index that fields, then i'll try again to work on the solution.

Anyway, considering that the solution isn't so big yet, i am seriously thinking to make 2 new files, import tables, remake relations, import scripts and copy layout elements.

But, in this way, i can't guess the cause of the problem, and i won't be able to avoid it in the future...

• 3. Re: FM 11 crash with specific file, can't solve
              fitch

Could be a corrupt graphic or corrupt font on that layout.

• 4. Re: FM 11 crash with specific file, can't solve
                Federico

Fitch wrote:

Could be a corrupt graphic or corrupt font on that layout.

Maybe you're right. Now i'm remaking the solution in two new files. While i was defining the graphic of a layout, i copied a rectangle and a line - that were grouped together and protected - from a layout in the recovered file, and pasted in the new file. I was modifying the position of the line in the new file, trying to align it with the square and set them at distance 0 from the left, when FM crashed. I suppose that that two elements could be corrupted, as other grapfhic elements maybe. So, now i'm making completely new graphic for layouts. But should be interesting to comprehend what corrupted my solution. Fortunately, i was just at the beginning of the creation... But the possibility to corrupt a file just opening it with FM11 and changing some layout features, is quite frightening.

Now, i'll try to make an hypothesis.

I remember that i aligned the rectangle with an horizontal line to the left, and positioned them to the left of the screen setting the left distance at 0. Next time i entered in layout mode, i found that the left distance of the grouped objects was minor of 0! Indeed, if i set an horiziontal line of the same size of a rectangle, the line width is graphically wider than the rectangle's width, because of the stroking of the line, and it overflows the graphic handles. The more thick is the line, the more is the difference. FM considers this when you drag the line to the left, and it stops the dragging as soon as you touch the left border with the line, but the distance in the Position palette is not 0; but you can set it to 0 manually by the same palette. Now, if you group an object, as a rectangle, with the line, the grouped objec is now at a negative distance from the left, because it considers the entire width of the line.

So, finally, what i suppose is that this behaviour of FM can cause the corruption of the involved graphic elements.

What do you think about?

• 5. Re: FM 11 crash with specific file, can't solve
                  Federico

I add that in FM 10 this behaviour doesn't arise: doing the same experiment, the distance of the grouped object remains 0.

Can this be a bug?

• 6. Re: FM 11 crash with specific file, can't solve
                    philmodjunk

Or possibly, it's corruption that one version of filemaker tolerates and another does not. (I've seen this with other files where corruption isn't detected until it's opened with a different version or on a different operating system.)

• 7. Re: FM 11 crash with specific file, can't solve
                      Federico

PhilModJunk wrote:

Or possibly, it's corruption that one version of filemaker tolerates and another does not. (I've seen this with other files where corruption isn't detected until it's opened with a different version or on a different operating system.)

Yes, it seems to be a possible explanation for my situation. But what caused this corruption? In your opinion, may that negative value of the distance be a problem, or something to be care to avoid? I'm trying to identify the reason of my troubles, because the idea that one day i might throw in the bin years of work is not so fair... :-)

• 8. Re: FM 11 crash with specific file, can't solve
                        philmodjunk

I really have no idea. I am only speculating from past experience with this issue.

• 9. Re: FM 11 crash with specific file, can't solve
                          Federico

Ok. So, i suppose that graphic objects were corrupted and caused FM to crash. Why they were corrupted is still a mistery. Maybe, i suppose, freezing the computer pulling down the top of the laptop with FM opened, especially if FM is in Layout Mode, can be not very healthy for the opened file. I have to admit i did it sometimes.

Thanks to all for replyes!

Bye!