8 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 3:05 PM by philmodjunk

FM 11 Pro on Server 2008 x64

MattH77

Title

FM 11 Pro on Server 2008 x64

Hi all,

I searched through the system requirements and the forums and couldn't find a similar post with answers, sorry if this is a repost!

I've got a client that is running FM 4 on Server 2003, and it is time to upgrade their hardware and software.  I want to move them to Server 2008 x64, and want to know if FM11 pro will run on 2008 x64?  And would i need to upgrade the clients from FM4 to 11 as well, or will they still connect to FM11 fine?

I understand that FM4 files will be able to be hosted on FM11,  but don't know if I need the clients to be running a newer version than 4.

I appreciate any help answering these questions! Thanks!!

Matt

• 1. Re: FM 11 Pro on Server 2008 x64
          philmodjunk

Filemaker server or filemaker pro?

Filemaker pro is a 32 bit app so it isn't likely to work on the 64 bit version. Server should run fine. I have filemaker server 10 running on a 64 bit win 2008 server right this minute.

• 2. Re: FM 11 Pro on Server 2008 x64
            MattH77

Thanks for the quick response!

I was curious if FM 11 Pro will run on Server 2008 x64.

It doesn't necessarily have to run in full 64 bit mode, i understand that it is a native 32-bit app, but most 32 bit apps will run in a 64-bit environment, i just want to make sure before taking the plunge.

If i do need to go to FM server 11, can the clients connect using their existing FM 4 software running on the client PCs?

Thanks again!

Matt

• 3. Re: FM 11 Pro on Server 2008 x64
              philmodjunk

Neither server no pro will work with filemaker 4 clients. The clients will also need to upgrade. For more on server and pro, you can check the specs filemaker keeps for each in the knowledge base.

• 4. Re: FM 11 Pro on Server 2008 x64
                MattH77

thanks a bunch Phil!

• 5. Re: FM 11 Pro on Server 2008 x64
                  fmp8743

Hello,

I recently installed FMP11 on my local machine and have no problems at all with it, can run web publishing at http://10.160.16.209 etc.

I have access to a dedicated server running MS Server 2008 x64 as well. There are two drives on it, and the D: drive hosts files for the web server like the home page for site that is listed in my email.

Can I install the FMProServer on C:? Will it affect the file delivery and Flash Streaming Interactive Media Server we have on D: as well?

FMP will offer a "perfect" solution for a new client, however when I started to install Server I got a dialog box stating "Don't install on the same machine as a file server."

If not, how can I publish interactive web files like the ones from my db on local machine to this URL? I cannot use static files.

This is a time sensitive project so i would appreciate a answer, thank you very much.

fmp8743

• 6. Re: FM 11 Pro on Server 2008 x64
                    philmodjunk

"i understand that it is a native 32-bit app, but most 32 bit apps will run in a 64-bit environment,"

Come to think of it, I do also have filemaker 10 installed on that server. I use it once in a great while to make "on the spot" changes to a file after first closing it from the server console and a robot file on the server is opened late at night by windows task scheduler to run a script that has to be run from a client instead of the server. I haven't had any problems with it.

• 7. Re: FM 11 Pro on Server 2008 x64
                      fmp8743

Thanks Phil for the indirect response, so far, so good, - installed in seconds and I can see make published pages on the internal network of the server... next step to get them to the whole world.

fmp8743

• 8. Re: FM 11 Pro on Server 2008 x64
                        philmodjunk

fmp8743,

You've piggybacked your question onto a thread dealing with a different issue. I haven't answered your question as it is outside my current experience and knowledge. You may want to post such questions to the filemaker server forum in the future.