2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 9:29 AM by NedCarpenter

FM 11 Pro: Corrupt Remote File - Help to diagnose problem!

NedCarpenter

Title

FM 11 Pro: Corrupt Remote File - Help to diagnose problem!

Hello,

This is my first post but I usually do a reasonable job of scavenging for the information I need just by reading the forums. Thank you very much so far. This time it is not so easy. I would be grateful for any help and suggestions. Please bear in mind my limitations (outlined below):

SYMPTOMS:

In Manage Database, Fields tabs: Cannot scroll down beyond certain fields in a particular table. Filemaker hangs and must be forced to quit.

Cannot open the table RELATIONSHIP tab in Manage Layout. Again filemaker hangs and must be forced to quit.

Filemaker hangs (whirlpool/beach ball of death) indefinitely when clicking on some tabs/layouts (scripts disabled).

Many other terrifying symptoms: e.g. Hangs when modifying certain fields for certain records on certain layouts!

SO FAR:

Thinking/hoping that the problem might be to do with a single corrupt record, I have tried to follow "Removing Corrupt Records From a File"(Answer ID: 4666).

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4666/kw/omitting%20all%20records

Did not find a particular record that caused system to hang, but when trying to add the primary key to a blank layout based on the suspected table (called QUOTE), again filemaker hangs and whirlpool and paled out screen and BOOM! Perhaps I have identified the Table that seems to be the problem

LIMITATIONS:

Running FM Pro ADV accessing a remote file running on a server (can't disconnect or disable file from use, require for some operations).

Again, thanks in advance for any help.

Ned.

• 1. Re: FM 11 Pro: Corrupt Remote File - Help to diagnose problem!
          philmodjunk

You should take a recent back up copy of your file and perform a recover on it to see what the recover operation reports and then open and test your recovered copy (even if it says "no problems found" to see if the recovered file works. If recovering the file fixes the problem or at least identifies a problem, then you'll need to replace the copy on the server with an undamaged copy.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: FM 11 Pro: Corrupt Remote File - Help to diagnose problem!
            NedCarpenter

Thanks very much PhilModJunk.

I thought that would be only option. If the problem ain't obvious the remedies aren't going to be either. Better to kill it and start again. We have plenty of backups thankfully.

Many thanks, Ned.