4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 9:40 AM by chrisjk

FM 11 v4  very slow to launch with OS X 10.7.2

chrisjk

Title

FM 11 v4  very slow to launch with OS X 10.7.2

I have been finding FM extremely slow to start up under Lion from the initial thru the current releases of Lion. It is really very annoying.

I'd be glad if anyone can suggest a solution.

Chris

• 1. Re: FM 11 v4  very slow to launch with OS X 10.7.2
          philmodjunk

If you create a small test file and launch Filemaker by opening it, do you get the same slow start up? (That will tell us if there might be an issue with the file to check.)

If the test file launches FileMaker quickly, here are some things you can check to see if they are a factor:

Look for a script that is performed when the file is opened. If you have one, check it for issues.

If your solution consists of more than one file, open Manage | external data sources and check for issues here. An invalid IP address or a file reference that uses asterisks can really slow down the file open process.

• 2. Re: FM 11 v4  very slow to launch with OS X 10.7.2
            chrisjk

I have tried with a small file as you suggest (one table, one field, one record, no external references etc.) and the start is still the same - extremely slow.

Launching by opening the small file or by launching the application by itself, startup takes 3 minutes and 5 seconds.

I conclude that start up has nothing to do with my solutions.

My machine is a Mac Pro early 2009 with 24 GB RAM and all my apps are located ona dedicated SSD. Other programs start up very fast indeed as one would expect with this set up.

My version of Filemaker is 11 Pro Advanced 11.0v4

• 3. Re: FM 11 v4  very slow to launch with OS X 10.7.2
              davisoly

I, also, have been fighting this slow startup on my iMac. Following a restart, the Filemaker Pro 11 Advanced, takes forever to launch. However, a second launch seems to be at normal speed, as are all subsequent launches. The problem seems to reside only with the initial launch after a system restart. 

My wife does not experience the problem, which makes me think that I should look at some preference files or menubar items or other open-on-login programs. Neither does the problem occur on a different user account. Perhaps I should delete my account and reestablish this.

davisoly

• 4. Re: FM 11 v4  very slow to launch with OS X 10.7.2
                chrisjk

I did find the problem in my own case - sorry that I forgot to post it here.

I found that plugins that had a Java component were to blame. I stopped using these as the slow start up biugged me more than the inconvenience of not having the plugins.

Chris