1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 12:12 PM by sastickf_1

FM 12 Advanced Crashes

sastickf_1

Title

FM 12 Advanced Crashes

I have a multi-file solution that was converted from .fp7 to .fp12 files on 9/20/12.  Prior to the conversion I had no crashes, however I have had multiple crashes since then and have lost a lot of time due to having to revert to backups, redo work, and recover.  I am interested to know if there are others that are experiencing the same type of file crashes since converting their files.  Also, I am hopeful that by providing this information that FileMaker can identify if there is a software bug that needs to be resolved in the next version update.

Prior to the 10/23/12 12.0.3 version update, I had sudden file crashes (like I am still experiencing) as well as the solution freezes/hangups due to the "New Window" bug that seems to have been resolved.  Below is the details of what I was doing at the time of the sudden crashes.  Each of these crashes generates an Apple crash report.  (I have NOT included details from the instances in which the program froze up & I was required to force quit.  These instances were almost always due to executing the "New Window" script step & seem to have been resolved with the 10/23/12 version update.)

10/4/12 (3 crashes):

#1 - Tried to change the script assigned to a basic artwork (square yellow) button, but the program crashed prior to even displaying the "Button Setup" window.

#2 - Tried to change the script assigned to a global field being used as a button on a different layout, but again, the program crashed prior to even displaying the "Button Setup" window.

#3 - Tried to change the field for a global container, but the program crashed prior to getting the "Specify Field" window.

10/25/12 (1 crash/forced quit):

I went into a script to make one change, to revise "Perform Script" and which script was to be run as a subscript and closed out of the script, saving the changes, and I got the "beep" noise at anything I tried to do.  I opened Script Debugger to verify that no script was running and there wasn't.  I was able to "Save a (compressed) Copy" prior to force quitting the solution.

11/12/12 - FM crashed once, but I didn't document what I was doing at the time.

11/13/12 (2 crashes):

# 1 - I changed the font size in a container field to 1 and then clicked out of the Inspector & FM crashed immediately.

# 2 - I didn't document what I was doing at the time of the crash.  Since the prior crash, I had been working with field definitions & created global container fields for background colors.

11/26/12 (1 crash):

I had double-clicked a button to define what script is assigned to it.  I got the spinning wheel for a while & then it crashed.

12/4/12 (1 crash):

Files crashed again when I clicked to revise the script parameter for a script.  My script parameter was simple text.

12/11/12 (1 crash):

Crash was instantaneous, I didn't get the spinning wheel at all.  I had thought my problem was the Time Machine backups & due to the fact that I had the external hard drive turned off, I wasn't paying attention to every move while programming & I don't know exactly what I was doing at the time of the crash.  I had either just clicked to set the script parameter or the conditional formatting for a basic artwork (square purple) button.

12/15/12 (1 crash):

File crashed (no other files were open at the time) when I was on the main menu layout.  I had just duplicated a button, changed the text on it & double-clicked it to revise the attached script.... and it crashed instantly.  I never got to the button setup window.

- I wondered if the hardware on my 5-year old MacBook Pro was failing since my sister had an identical MacBook & it failed this past summer, so I purchased a new MacBook with retina display, but I still have the same crashes, they just happen much faster!  (Started using new MacBook on 11/29/12.)

- I wondered if having Time Machine running regularly was causing the crashes as the external hard drive seemed to "start-up" each time there was a crash.  I began to turn the external hard drive off while programming, but I still have the same crashes even with the hard drive & Time Machine turned off.

- I thought the crashes were happening when I had one or both of the (2) major data files open, but I just had another crash and I only had my programming (GUI) file open at the time.

These crashes are all very disheartening and I would very much like to know what is causing them.  I find the article linked below to be very interesting & helpful.  FileMaker, I wish you had better procedures for identifying the cause of file corruption & problems!  I have run the Consistency Check & Recover functions on copies of my programming & main data files and each time I get the message that no problems are detected.

http://www.fileshoppe.com/recover.htm

• 1. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
          philmodjunk

Possible bug reports should be posted to Report an Issue (see tabs at top of this screen). That's where you have the best chance of making contact with a FileMaker tech to discuss the possible bug. You can include a link to this post to save typing if you want.

You may also want to see if FMDIff--a third party utility finds any problems with your file.

• 2. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
            davidanders

You should exclude the database from being backed up by Time Machine (Time Machine Preferences).
                 You should backup the database manually, or with a script within Filemaker AND allow Time Machine to backup the backups.
                 Time Machine does a "block" backup (only portions of the file that has changed, not the entire thing).
                 Backing up an open Filemaker database is a Known Bad Thing.

FileMaker and Time Machine
                 How does FileMaker interact with Time Machine?
            Answer ID: 6760Last Updated: Oct 20, 2011
            http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6760/~/filemaker-and-time-machine

Have you copied the database, recovered the copy to view any problems and test the recovered db? (not all problems are reported)
                 FMP database indexes and layouts can have corruption that is ignored in earlier versions, but become issues when upgraded.
                 Opening the database on a Windows machine for testing is an option, if the problems are predictable.

• 3. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
              rsagall_1

I had a crashing problem that was due to conflict with SpellCatcher. I turned off SpellCatcher and no more problems.

Rich

• 4. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
                davidanders

Safe Mode boot can help diagnose application conflicts.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455
                Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564
                Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4053
                Isolating an issue by using another user account

• 5. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
                  sastickf_1

Thank you PhilModJunk, I have created an Issue Report & included a link to this forum posting.  I looked into the FMDiff tool, but it doesn't appear to work for .fmp12 files yet.  Am I missing something?

Thank you DavidAnders.  I was ignorant of the interactions between Time Machine & FileMaker.  As a result, I fear that I reverted to a corrupted Time Machine backup one of the times after I had to force quit FileMaker (due to the bug of everything freezing up when the "New Window" script step is executed).  I have made compressed copies of my files & run recover on those copies and always get the notification that no errors were detected, however I continue to get crashes.  I have only experienced the crashes while in layout mode & while programming.  I think your idea of trying to program on a Windows platform to see if I get the same crashes is a good idea.

I still need to try a Safe Mode boot.

Thank you Rich, I don't have the SpellCatcher application installed.... that would be a simple fix if it was what is causing my crashes!

• 6. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
                    sastickf_1

I did the Safe Mode boot & didn't get any error messages.  I then shut down & did a normal reboot & didn't get any error messages.  According to the linked article I found below, it seems like all is good.  (I don't know how I would identify application conflicts while in safe mode.)  I have never gotten the kernel panic screen, but all my Apple crash reports give the Exception Codes as "KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at ______"

http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Troubleshooting-Os-X-Kernel-Panics.htm

• 7. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
                      davidanders

My meaning was Safe Mode boot and testing the database for the same behavior.

If it has no problems, something - not loaded can be assumed to be the problem.

The same with creating a Test User - logging in as Test and testing FMP for the problem.

If it does not exist, the common suspicion is a damaged Preference (plist)

• 8. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
                        philmodjunk

You might try using FMDiff on your original unconverted copies of your files. If there is latent corruption that did not affect behavior until you converted the files, this might reveal the presence of that issue.

You might also try these two tests:

Convert Recover a copy in .fp7 format, then convert the recovered copy and test.

Create a small test database, or even just a new file from one of the starter solutions. Test it and see if you get crashes.

Both tests may provide clues that will help narrow down possible causes.

• 9. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
                          sastickf_1

Thank you again for all your suggestions & help.  I would really like to get to the bottom of this as it is hard to get excited about programming when I know it could crash at any moment & I will have to revert to a backup.

Based on your suggestions, it sounds like working in safe mode is "safe" & would not damage my files.  Is continuing to program while in safe mode the same as if I were in normal mode?  (Do I need to make a copy of the files to work on while in safe mode & then return to the original files once I return to normal mode?)

Wow, FMDiff is $399!  I would gladly pay that if it worked for .fmp12 files.  Since I will have very limited use of the program for .fmp7 files, does anyone know of a coupon code I could use (or if there will be upgrade pricing when they do release the version that works with .fmp12 files)?  Thank you!

• 10. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
                            RickWhitelaw

There's nothing wrong with backing up FM files with Time Machine. OPEN FM files should not be backed up though. My solution is each of my files has a closer script which saves the file to another location upon closing, another drive actually. I then exclude my "working" FM files from the TM backup and include the saved copies in the TM backup. This way an open file is never backed up by Time Machine, because I agree that's a really bad idea. If I've done some important design work, I close the file and it copies itself. It's not perfect, but TM does save hourly snapshots of the files. Actually, for my purposes it IS perfect!

• 11. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
                              sastickf_1

Thank you for your help Rick.  I really like the procedure you follow!  I was backing up open FM files and I think I got into trouble when I reverted to a Time Machine backup of open files after I was required to force quit FM12 very soon after converting my files from .fmp7 & the solution froze up due to the known "New Window" script step bug.  Unfortunately, I have done significant development since then...

I would like to implement your procedure into my files of creating file copies upon closing them.  I can picture how the script would look, but it would save me a lot of time if you would be willing to share your script with me.  Is that something you would be willing to do?

I have been working in safe mode for a little while and have not had any crashes so far... I'm just not sure what it will mean once I have had a crash or if I don't have any.

• 12. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
                                philmodjunk

Apologies for this, but I must point out:

my trust in FileMaker version releases has sure been eroded!!!!

Yet it appears that your trust was "eroded" by failiing to follow best practices for backing up your files--a rule that has been in place for all of the versions that you list.

• 13. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
                                  sastickf_1

I have not had to revert to backups very much in the past, so I guess I am learning the hard way in "the school of hard knocks".  I had only recently started using Time Machine continuously while files were open...

• 14. Re: FM 12 Advanced Crashes
                                    RickWhitelaw

Sastickf,

simply create a script to run on Last Window Close and use Save a Copy As. I'm on an iPad now and can't post the script. It's dead simple to implement.

1 2 Previous Next