10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 12:21 PM by schamblee

FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp

jmixon12

Title

FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp

I am making my first Filemaker database and need some help.

I want to make a notes field that will automatically populate the username and timestamp when someone edits the notes in a field.  This is so my team will know who made the notes change.  Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

J.D.

• 1. Re: FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp
          philmodjunk

But where have you defined the Notes field? If you plan to record multiple notes for a single individual, (a contact in your contacts table?), you should define a related notes table for this. A portal to Notes on your contacts layout can then be used to log multiple notes about the same contact.

Separate fields should be used to record the timestamp and either accountName or Username. If you double click a field in Manage | Database | Fields, you'll get the field options dialog. Click the auto-enter tab and you'll find that you can set a field to auto-enter the current time stamp when the Notes record is created. You can specify that a text field auto-enter either the user name or account name the same way. Be sure that you know the difference between an account name--the name used along with a password to open the file and a user name--a value specified in preferences and which is specific to each user account set up on your computer. Usually, the accountname is a more reliable means of identifying who created the record as the same person may access the database from different computers and/or different user accounts and thus different info would be auto-entered.

• 2. Re: FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp
            jmixon12

Well I am fine with using separate fields, but I guess I don't understand how I link them all together.  For instance, I have a "General Notes" field that right now is just a text field.  I would now need three separate fields, one for each: account name, timestamp, and note.  How do I make these link together so that I would only enter info into the "notes" field and it would auto-populate account name and timestamp?  Thanks again for all the help.

I guess I should also tell you that I have 5 different notes fields: General, Business, Likes, Dislikes, and Pets.  Is the best way to have a single field where I determine what notes field a note goes into and then type the note?  It could then be kicked into the corresponding note field.

• 3. Re: FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp
              jmixon12

I guess I should also tell you that I have 5 different notes fields: General, Business, Likes, Dislikes, and Pets.

• 4. Re: FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp
                philmodjunk

What I am suggesting is that you define an additional table and relate it to your your current table. Then you can use a portal to Notes. Each time you add a note, you create a new record in that table. One new related record for each new note. Thus, the timestamp and name fields for a given ntoe record automatically get a value each time a new notes record is created.

You may want to look up "portal" in FileMaker help to learn more about them as this is a very commonly used design detail in fileMaker databases.

• 5. Re: FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp
                  jmixon12

Now I am starting to follow you.  Thank you for dumbing it down for me.  I have not used any tables yet, so I will read up and try to figure it out.  Thanks again. 

• 6. Re: FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp
                    philmodjunk

You have used ONE table. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to define any fields. Wink

• 7. Re: FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp
                      jmixon12

Well I have read up on Portals and it seemed like I was going to be able to get started, but I ran into a snag at the very beginning.  I tried to add a portal using the Portal Tool.  I clicked and dragged where I wanted it, but when I released the Portal Setup screen popped up asking "Show related records from:", but I only have the one database and it won't let me select it.  I added a screen shot.  What should I do?  Thanks.  I bet you are regretting ever trying to help me.  haha

• 8. Re: FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp
                        philmodjunk

Yep. before you do this, you have to open Manage | Database | Tables and create a new table for your notes. Then you use the fields tab to add the fields you need for notes and then you use the relationships tab to link the two tables in a relationship.

For a relationship for a portal, it's often useful to enable "allow creation of records via this relationship" for the portal table. With this option enabled, you can create new related records in the portal just by entering data in a blank row of the portal.

• 9. Re: FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp
                          DaveDuggan

Hey Phillmodjunk did you figure this out? im lost. i can build notes with portal so it adds the notes correctly but cant get a time stamp or account name on the not.

• 10. Re: FM 12 Notes field with User and Timestamp
                            schamblee

Use auto-enter calculation field.  There is a timestamp for create date and modification date.  you can also use a auto-enter calculation with get(accountName) or  get(username).

I could not find that old sample I created.   I use dropbox now because the other service went way up on price and I even just cleaned up my dropbox because I went from the 5Gb free to the 1TB paid so I can find my files quicker, which broke several of my links when I moved files around.