2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2012 4:46 PM by disabled_JackRodgers

FM 12 upgrade - to do or not to do?

dzittin

Title

FM 12 upgrade - to do or not to do?

Hi,

I have been away on biz and know there were mentions of performance issues with FM 12 a few weeks ago. AIA for asking here, but a forum search produced nothing. Has this been solved? A pointer appreciated. 

Thx,

-D

• 1. Re: FM 12 upgrade - to do or not to do?
          philmodjunk

For More Information see:     Scrolling in List view is very slow

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

You might also want to click on the Known bugs list link, navigate to the last page and then scan back through the last several pages to get an over view of aknowledged FileMaker 12 bugs.

• 2. Re: FM 12 upgrade - to do or not to do?

Here's the Rule of Experience:

Whenever the New Version of Any Software ariives, keep it away from your working software that makes your living.

Use a separate computer to work on a copy of your old files that have been converted. Be prepared to toss this in the trash.

Expect things not to work and even create a disaster (The beta of Word 4 took out half my hard drive). This is why you use a second computer.

Keep working on your 'old' well debugged version and making money. You may need this for aspirin.

A few months later after verion v3 arrives you can begin to consider converting to this new version and enjoy a few months before the next version arrives.

Existing files may be a pain to convert at least with v1. By v3 these issues may be gone.

Ask yourself this question: if I convert, toss out all of my old files and rely entirely on the new ones, how much time and trouble will the cost me and can I afford it.

Next question: my developer is crying and whining and wanting me to pay for the new version and seems deranged in his desire to use it. What should I do. He seems slightly demented and out of touch with reality. No, wait. That's me.

Answer: 12 Step Program...