8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 11:35 PM by synergy46

FM 13 Adv 05 OSX 10.10.2 Window Scroll Bar Control

synergy46

Title

FM 13 Adv 05 OSX 10.10.2 Window Scroll Bar Control

I have a layout, see .png file, that has a navigation portal on the left.  

Of course, when the user makes the window holding the layout smaller than the size of the layout, a scroll bar shows on the right.

Question: "Is there a way to use a script to move the RIGHT side (Window) scroll bar up or down?"

LayoutWindow.png

• 1. Re: FM 13 Adv 05 OSX 10.10.2 Window Scroll Bar Control
          philmodjunk

Go to Portal Row can be used to move a portal row into view in a portal. When you have more than one portal on the layout, give each an object name and use Go to Object to specify the portal before using go to portal row to move the focus to a different portal row in that portal.

• 2. Re: FM 13 Adv 05 OSX 10.10.2 Window Scroll Bar Control
            synergy46

Phil,

The problem is the scroll bar on the far right of the window; not the portal scroll bar.  

Ron

• 3. Re: FM 13 Adv 05 OSX 10.10.2 Window Scroll Bar Control
              philmodjunk

Sorry, I misread your post.

There are scroll window script steps that can be used to scroll a FileMaker window. Open up the script editor in Manage Scripts and review the ones found in the Window category.

• 4. Re: FM 13 Adv 05 OSX 10.10.2 Window Scroll Bar Control
                synergy46

Thanks for the reply.

I guess there are no 'built in' functions that do what I want.  I will check Dunning.  Absent success there, I will have to grunt through the process of trying to make my own.

Thanks for the thoughts...

• 5. Re: FM 13 Adv 05 OSX 10.10.2 Window Scroll Bar Control
                  Jade

Ron,

Phil cited the scroll window script step:

Scroll Window [Home/End/Page Up/Page Down/To Selection]

If I understand your requirement correctly, this should work.  Also, you can hide the scroll bar on the right by changing your System Preference settings (e.g. General>Show scroll bars>When scrolling or Automatically…).  The user can scroll left and right when the window is resized.

• 6. Re: FM 13 Adv 05 OSX 10.10.2 Window Scroll Bar Control
                    synergy46

The problem is that if a user selects the last name in the left navigation portal, for example, the scroll bar on the right stays positioned further up.   I need a way to link a variable number of navigation records (in the portal) to the window navigation  scroll bar.

This is not too hard at the extremes of the navigation portal (I just use Home or End...But, between the top and bottom I need a way to make sure the window scroll bar always coordinates it's position with the navigation scroll bar.   (It looks like I can't get there from here....but I will try).  Thanks

• 7. Re: FM 13 Adv 05 OSX 10.10.2 Window Scroll Bar Control
                      philmodjunk

I'm afraid that I can't understand your description here. Exactly what do you mean by "Link a variable number of navigation records"?

This sounds like something that we do routinely  with methods that do not require scrolling the window at all. A button in the portal row can perform a script that simply finds the record on the main layout and display it. It's also possible to update a match field in the layout's table in order to link the current layout to the record selected via portal row click and then fields from a related table are used on your main layout to create that "detail view" of the selected record.

But Go to Record can also be used to scroll a record in to view in a list view layout, so it is not impossible to set that up, it's just that the results seem a bit cumbersome to implement compared to making this a form view layout and just finding records via a scripted find or Go to Related records instead of trying to scroll a record into view.

• 8. Re: FM 13 Adv 05 OSX 10.10.2 Window Scroll Bar Control
                        synergy46

I have successfully used GTRR to locate the proper record.  This works.

The problem is that the left 'navigation portal' after the gtrr sometimes scrolls in such a way that it's previously highlighted record is above or below the visible portal rows.

I know I can just grind out the code to bring it back.  I was just wondering if there was a 'quick an dirty' way to do this or better yet, if FM had a function or command to do so.

Oh well.  Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.