6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 11:48 AM by philmodjunk

FM 13.0.5 Mac - Part Color LOCKED in Table View

WQuattlebaum

Title

FM 13.0.5 Mac - Part Color LOCKED in Table View

I've done searches for "Part Color Locked" and "Part Color" and "Table Color" and the closest match to my question deals with alternate background color in LIST LAYOUT and does not work for my Table View question.

I have created a fresh FM 13 Mac database with a single field and confirm the same problem occurs.

I want to alternate the colors of the rows in the Table View. Instructions say to Right Click on the left or right edge and select "Part Color" or "Alternate Color". I see the color table showing but the "Part Color" says "Locked". Even though the Alternate is NOT showing Locked selecting any color has no effect on the row colors. Right clicking again shows my selected color is still chosen (Highlighted) in the color table but nothing I do will make the color change nor have I found a way to "unlock" the Body Part I am trying to change.

I've attached a screen capture of the menu I see when right-clicked. It shows "Part Color - Locked."

Bases on the above referenced Forum "List View" suggestion I've tried using the Inspector in Layout mode but it does not change anything for the "Table View."

Thank you for any/all suggestions.

FileMaker_Pro.jpg

• 1. Re: FM 13.0.5 Mac - Part Color LOCKED in Table View
          WQuattlebaum

Okay - just found out I need to make sure all fields have NONE for fill. So I have the ALTERNATE color working but still have the "Part Color - Locked" issue. This means I can add color the the EVEN rows but not the ODD.

So I am still open to suggestions to UNLOCK the ODD lines.

• 2. Re: FM 13.0.5 Mac - Part Color LOCKED in Table View
            philmodjunk

Enter layout mode. Select the body part label by clicking it. Select the appearance tab in the Inspector. Select "Primary" from the second drop down from the top. Select a solid white Fill color. Save changes and return to browse mode. Now see if you can right click and select a Part Color. (If you double click the body part label, you can also open a dialog where you can select or deselect an "alternate color" check box and you may need to play with that setting as well.)

I was able to reproduce your "Part Color - Locked" result, but only if I specified a primary fill color other than White in the Inspector.

• 3. Re: FM 13.0.5 Mac - Part Color LOCKED in Table View
              WQuattlebaum

@PhilModJunk - thanks for the suggestion. Sort of like the forum discussion for List View but it DOES NOT unlock the Part Color for me.

So I went to Layout, click once on the Body part label, selected Primary, confirmed Fill was Solid and used the Apple colors to pick "White". On going back to Browse I still have "Part Color - Locked".

Please clarify your suggestion that double clicking the part will open a similar dialog. If I double click the margin in the Browse / Table View nothing happens. If I double click "Body" in the Layout mode I get the Part Definition dialog that does not include setting colors (as does the Inspector).

What I do see are checkboxes at the bottom I don't know what they do: "Use alternate row state" and "Use active row state" both of which are checked. I'll have to consult the FM Help for these.

• 4. Re: FM 13.0.5 Mac - Part Color LOCKED in Table View
                philmodjunk

I wasn't getting results that made a lot of sense myself. I was able to reproduce the "locked" result and then remove it in my case by setting the "Primary" body fill color back to white. Strangely, setting it to "none" did not unlock it which seemed very inconsistent.

Yes, I meant that you double click the part label while in layout mode to open part setup. No I did not mean that you can select a color there. But you can try clearing or selecting the "alternate color" check box to see if this makes a difference.

I thought that the Delineate option found in Layout Setup... might make a difference but my tests show no difference in behavior here. And note that I am testing this with a Classic themed layout where the background default color is white. If your layout specifies a different theme, you might get different results.

Personally, I prefer List view over table view--reserving Table View for my own "debug the database design" purposes.

• 5. Re: FM 13.0.5 Mac - Part Color LOCKED in Table View
                  WQuattlebaum

@PhilModJunk - again thank you for the reply. I too am using the Classic theme layout. You say after double-clicking the "Body" part I might try "try clearing or selecting the "alternate color" check box to see if this makes a difference" but I don't see "alternate color" in the Part Definition window. I did try toggling the "Use alternate row state" to no effect. In Browse mode the ODD row color option still shows "Locked"

So right now I have the ODD rows as white and the EVEN as a pale green so that should do it. Does not solve why the "Part Color - Locked" but having the even rows green makes following the row across much easier. I'll make your earlier reply as best answer and consider this good enough!  Thank you. 

• 6. Re: FM 13.0.5 Mac - Part Color LOCKED in Table View
                    philmodjunk

"Use alternate row state"is the check box that I meant. It's supposed to affect what you see in List View so I wouldn't expect it to make a difference in Table View, but a lot of formatting options that affect what you see in table view actually get selected while in Layout Mode so I mentioned it as one more option to experiment with.