1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 1:53 PM by philmodjunk

FM 6.0: specify the lookup record from multiple matching records

Jeannine

Title

FM 6.0: specify the lookup record from multiple matching records

Hello again! Need some assistance with lookups that have multiple results.

table:Production Log contains portal to table:Production Data. Relationship is joined by Production ID# (auto & unique) and set up to allow creation of records. The only fields in the log are creation date, mod date, creator and ID#. All other info is in the data file: production date, machine, station #, item code, # of cycles, etc.

table:Offline Reject Log contains portal to table:Offline Reject Data. Relationship is joined by Reject ID# (auto & unique) and set up to allow creation of records. These two files are set up way as the Production files.

While in the Offline Reject Log, I enter (in the portal) the production date, machine and station # and the lookup (to the table:Production Data) auto-enters the item code from Production Data. Problem is that we might change a mold in a station resulting in multiple matching records.

I am trying to follow along with Answer # 2270 from the Knowledge Base (link below), but I'm just not getting it. I am substituting zip code with Station #, city with Item Code and state with Machine.

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2270/kw/specify%20the%20lookup%20record%20from%20multiple%20matching%20records

• 1. Re: FM 6.0: specify the lookup record from multiple matching records
          philmodjunk

What part don't you get? (That gives me a starting point for adding more explanation.)

From your post, you have these relationships:

ProductionLog::ProductionID = ProductionData::ProductionID

RejectLog::RejectID = RejectData::RejectID

This part doesn't make sense to me. I think you left out some details: "While in the Offline Reject Log, I enter (in the portal) the production date, machine and station # and the lookup (to the table:Production Data) auto-enters the item code from Production Data. Problem is that we might change a mold in a station resulting in multiple matching records."

Apparently you have a relationship between RejectData and ProductionData? How is that relationship set up?

I Don't have any clue what role a "mold" plays in this look up.