3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 4:21 PM by davidhead

FM 8 to FM 10, what do I need to do, how

cactusem

Title

FM 8 to FM 10, what do I need to do, how

My version 8 is acting very erratic on my intel Mac running OS 10.5.6 so I am planning to upgrade to version 10. I read about installing 10 before uninstalling 8 but how do I actually move/migrate/convert my existing databases from 8 to 10? And when I do, will all the new features in 10 be available in those databases?

Any tips or step-by-step outline will be appreciated. Thank you.

• 1. Re: FM 8 to FM 10, what do I need to do, how
          davidhead

Go ahead and install FileMaker Pro 10 on your Mac. There is no need to uninstall FileMaker Pro 8 if you don't want to.

When you have FileMaker Pro 10 installed, open a FileMaker Pro file and see if it launches with v10. It should. 

If not, Get Info on the file and set the "Open With:" to FileMaker Pro 10. Then click the Change All... button. That should do it.

Version 10 features will be available in all your files. No conversion necessary. 

• 2. Re: FM 8 to FM 10, what do I need to do, how
            cactusem
               David - Thank you for quick reply. I bought FileMaker Pro 10 and installed it w/o uninstalling 8. My database opened in 8 so I changed it on Get Info. Then it would not open but said it needed to be Recovered. I did that - said it had 61 bad blocks - then it said all was well ... and it appears to be so. I am going to start entering and see if anything goes wrong. Hope not. I will only write again if there are problems. Thank you for the help.
            • 3. Re: FM 8 to FM 10, what do I need to do, how
              davidhead
                 The consistency check has been beefed up in FileMaker Pro 10. The bad blocks found may be the source of your 'erratic behaviour' in FileMaker Pro 8. Hopefully all will be well now. And you are up to date!