3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 6:53 AM by philmodjunk

FM as virtual printer

RobertSmith_1

Title

FM as virtual printer

I've created a FM database to store documents - PDFs from scanning or the internet.  I'm replacing a ridiculously expensive PC application which had a very nice feature:  it was possible to 'print' a document directly into the database - selecting the database as the printer, it would open the database and create a new record for storing the new document.

Has anyone seen a plug-in or other solution that would permit this functionality with FM? 

• 1. Re: FM as virtual printer
          philmodjunk

Filemaker could create a new record and insert an existing PDF into a container field in that new record, but "print a new document" means what exactly?

• 2. Re: FM as virtual printer
            RobertSmith_1

By print a new document, I'm thinking that from an open document, 'Cmd P' would present choices, say, 1) HP LaserJet, and 2) Filemaker.  Picking #2 would open a target database and new record, with the 'printed' document in the live container; the same functionality would ideally also exist in the scanner, where a newly scanned document would be sent directly to this 'printer' and a live container in a new record.

This is the way my PC application works - it was very convenient.  Now, I print PDFs into a holding folder, open FM, and drag and drop the PDFs into the live container in a new record.  I'd like to eliminate that step - if possible.

• 3. Re: FM as virtual printer
              philmodjunk

FileMaker can be setup to insert all PDF files found in a particular folder, but the "cmd P" part of what you describe requires changing the behavior of parts of your system external to FileMaker and not being a Mac User I don't know if that is even possible.