7 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 1:52 PM by platypus63

FM Closes Wrong Window

platypus63

Title

FM Closes Wrong Window

Hello,

I've been having this issue only in Windows, while under Mac there is no problem.

When there are several windows open, clicking X (close) button on a background (unselected) window closes the foreground (selected) window.  

I tried creating a custom menu function where X corresponds to a script step of Select Window (Current), Close Window(Current), however that did not solve the problem.

This happens whether one database is open or several at the same time. Whichever unselected windows X is pressed, the selected window closes. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: FM Closes Wrong Window
          philmodjunk

What window options have you specified? I can't reproduce this on my windows system. If I click the close control in the background window, it closes and the foremost window remains open.

• 2. Re: FM Closes Wrong Window
            platypus63

Hi thanks for the reply.

I am not sure what Window Options are.  Where can I find the window options?  The only training I've had is through 2 books on FM and still am discovering little obvious tricks.  

As I have said I have a custom menu function for the Close button.  The button triggers a script with the step as follows Close Window(Current) and clicking the button Exits current script.  I had to do this since they were having windows freeze when users would try closing out while in the middle of a search.  Now they have this issue, which seems to be present on all the Windows machines at the office (Vista and 7), while the Macs are unaffected. The solutions in use are not any of the starter solutions.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: FM Closes Wrong Window
              philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using?

How did you open the additional windows?

In FileMaker 12, there are options you can select that control the type of window opened when you use the new window script command--that may or may not be how you opened the window in the first place.

• 4. Re: FM Closes Wrong Window
                platypus63

Solution was created in FM 8, and have upgraded with each version, now on FM 12.

Additional windows are opened by a script that usually opens a window that shows a related record. The script steps are as follows: New Window, Go To Layout, Adjust Window(ResizetoFit), Exit Script.  If new window opens a related DB, there is a Show/Hide Toolbars (Lock;Hide) before the Adjust Window step.

Window Style: Document Window

Window Controls: All are checked on

However, I have tried opening windows from the File Menu, Window>New Window, and the same issue is present.

• 5. Re: FM Closes Wrong Window
                  platypus63

An update.  I tried reverting one of the Files to the Standard FM Menu Set, and the issue was not present.  It only happens with using the Custom Menu.  However, without the custom menu with the additional "Exit Script" step before closing, the users have windows that hang since the script is still active when they Close a window with an active script.

• 6. Re: FM Closes Wrong Window
                    philmodjunk

The custom menu is the key clue not present in your original post.

Chances are, that the close window option in the file menu has been modified to perform a script. This script is where you need to look to see why the wrong window is being closed.

It would be helpful to post the script you are using. (I use the same method in my Known Bugs List database and it doesn't have this issue.)

To post a script to the forum:

1. You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
                    2. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here.
                    3. If You have FileMaker advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
                    4. If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format. (Use the HTML option on the database tab panel and paste the text into the forum's HTML editor.)
                    • 7. Re: FM Closes Wrong Window
                      platypus63

Thanks for all the help.  I just fixed the issue. The problem was with the Custom Menu Function.  I had "Based on Existing Command" checked on, and that was causing a conflict with the script that was replacing that function.  Once the Based on Existing Command was unchecked, the problem was resolved.  I have attached a screenshot.

Thanks a lot for your help!