3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 8:24 AM by philmodjunk

FM crash when opening a container field

EddyKaryadi

Title

FM crash when opening a container field

Hi,

What causes FileMaker to sometime crash when opening container fields. Before I have problem opening container field that is created as a pdf file. The work around on this is to use an older version of Acrobat and it seems to work. However, today FM crashed when I tried to open a file in Word docs.

The message said that the file is no longer in Word format, and then when I hit the Enter on the keyboard, FM just crashed. I checked the file, and it is still a valid MS Word file.

Everytime FM crashes, it is going to check for consistency, most of the time, it came back, but it just take so long. Any tips to avoid crashing when opening a container field?

• 1. Re: FM crash when opening a container field
          philmodjunk

Since crashes can damage a file and file damage can cause crashes. You might run a recover on your file (not just the consistency check) and see if any damage is reported.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: FM crash when opening a container field
            EddyKaryadi

Thanks for the post about recovering damage file, however what cause the crash in the first place when I tried to open container field. It seems to be an intermittent issue. I am using Window XP, using FM 11.0 v.3. Is it the memory of the computer, or any setting in order to avoid these crashes?

• 3. Re: FM crash when opening a container field
              philmodjunk

There is no way to tell from here. Your file might have some latent corruption that only triggers this crash intermittantly.Thus, the first step is to rule out any causes due to file damage. As a further test, you might even define a simple test file with a container field and see if you get crashes from these same files when you insert them in the test file and then open the files from the container field.

There aren't any settings you can change to make crashes less likey that I know of.