1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 8:30 PM by ThomasStout8600

FM Crashing

ThomasStout8600

Title

FM Crashing

Hello,

I'm using FMPro 10 Advanced on a Mac running OS 10.6.4.  Just tonight, I had a file crash when I entered data into a record and tried to leave it.  I got a message saying the file needed to be recovered so I did that and was told it wasn't recoverable.  So I went back into my Time Machine Backup and Restored the file.  Unfortunately, whenever I do anything with this record, FM crashes.  So I went further back into Time Machine and Restored from there.  Same result.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  How do I fix this?

Thanks for any help,

Thomas

• 1. Re: FM Crashing
          revmk

Does this happen when you do anything at all?

• 2. Re: FM Crashing
            ThomasStout8600

All I'm doing is adding a number to a field and then exiting that field.  There are no Triggers of any kind set for the field.

• 3. Re: FM Crashing
              ThomasStout8600

The crashing seems to only happen with that record because I can modify other records by entering data into the same field in the file and it doesn't crash.

• 4. Re: FM Crashing
                philmodjunk

You may have a file that cannot be recovered. Pull up the oldest back up copy you can find and run a recover on it. If it can't be recovered then you'll have to rebuild your file. If it can, then you can work forward through the back up copies to find the newest copy that can be recovered.

Even successfully recovered files should not be put into regular use going forward if you have any alternative.

Did the recover "fail" or did it tell you you shouldn't use the recovered file? If the latter, there's a bug that in some cases causes FileMaker to identify and "fix" a non-existent problem with the file and then tell you not to use the recovered file. This has to do with layout groups that have differing alignments specified.

If this is a possible issue, you can use the log to identify the layout in question, ungroup all grouped objects on that layout and then try again to see how it recovers.

For More Information on this bug, see:    FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:   http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 5. Re: FM Crashing
                  ThomasStout8600

Phil,

My guess is that I'm experiencing the bug you mentioned.

Here's the exact text of the Error Dialog after I Recover the file:

WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.  Please review the Recover.log file to see where problems were found and their severity.  The recoverd file shoud NOT be used going forward: copy only the most recent work from it into a backup copy of the original file.

Recovery results:

File blocks: scanned and rebuilty 2904 blocks, dropped 1 invalid data blocks.

Schema: scanned fields and tables, 0 items modeified.

Structur: scanned; 1 items modified.

Field indexes: rebuilt.

Do you need anything from the Log file?

Thanks,

Thomas

• 6. Re: FM Crashing
                    philmodjunk

It may or may not be the issue. I can't tell from your post. You'd need to read through the log and find the item that was changed during the recover. If you find it is a group of objects or layout objects, enter layout mode, ungroup them and try again. Ungrouping won't affect your database function unless the grouped objects are part of a button. If you no longer get the warning not to use the file, then yes, this is the bug.

You might try saving a clone of your current file, then importing your data back into the clone and testing the clone. This operation rebuilds indexes. Or you can use Recover to rebuild indexes. Select advanced recover options. Specify only "Copy blocks As is" and "Rebuild indexes | Now".

• 7. Re: FM Crashing
                      ThomasStout8600

Okay, I think I found it, here's the only section in the Log with anything marked as changed:

Recovering: layout 'View Rep Schedule' (2)

Rebuilt group with 6 object(s)

Rebuilt group with 5 object(s)

Rebuilt group with 5 object(s)

Reset table view

This item changed

So I went to the Layout and ungrouped all the grouped objects I found.  When I recovered I got the same error message but this time this is the way the log reads:

Recovering: layout 'View Rep Schedule' (2)

Rebuilt group with 6 object(s)

Reset table view

This item changed

So I must still have one group that I didn't Ungroup.  How do I determine which group it is that needs to be changed?  The one with 6 items but how do I determine that before ungrouping?

Thanks,

Thomas

• 8. Re: FM Crashing
                        philmodjunk

Try this:

1. Go to that layout and enter layout mode. Use command-A (Mac) or Ctrl-A (Windows) to select everything in the layout.
                        2. Ungroup them, choosing OK for any ungrouped buttons that you are now "breaking".
                        3. Now there are no groups at all on this layout.

If all else fails, delete this layout and try a recover.

• 9. Re: FM Crashing
                          ThomasStout8600

I tried again, making sure I was Ungrouping all the groups and still got the error message.  So I Restored another copy and when I went to "Recover" looked for your Advanced options.  Not seeing them, I ran a "Consistency Check" and got the following info:

*** Started consistency check, total of 2945 block(s) to check

ERROR: Index entry in page 1862 doesn't match first leaf of data page 2938

ERROR: Page 2938 invalid previous page link 2938

FAILED consistency check; found 2 bad block(s) of 2945 checked

Does this change your thinking at all?

Thomas

• 10. Re: FM Crashing
                            ThomasStout8600

I tried both of your suggestions:

1. Go to that layout and enter layout mode. Use command-A (Mac) or Ctrl-A (Windows) to select everything in the layout.
                            2. Ungroup them, choosing OK for any ungrouped buttons that you are now "breaking".
                            3. Now there are no groups at all on this layout.

If all else fails, delete this layout and try a recover.

Even with deleting the Layout, I get the same error message.  The Log doesn't say anything about problematic layouts.  What am I missing?

Thomas

• 11. Re: FM Crashing
                              ThomasStout8600

Here's the Error message I see in the current Log for the file with the layout deleted:

ERROR: Page 2938 invalid all zero header, dropping it

And then there's this:

Adjusted item count of library Schedule (129) by -3

• 12. Re: FM Crashing
                                philmodjunk

The advanced options are a feature of FileMaker 11. I assume you must be using an older version. The errors you are getting do appear to indicate index problems and possibly worse issues. I'd save a clone of the file and import all your records into the clone to see if the resulting index rebuild improves things any. Given that you have bad blocks identified, you may or may not be able to salvage the file, though you should be able to extract the data from it.

If you have deleted the layout, you can't be getting the same exact messages in the log as they refer to a layout that no longer exists. You may be reading older entries in the recover log from your original recover. Try deleting the recover log before running the recover as each recover pass appends entries to the end of the log.

• 13. Re: FM Crashing
                                  ThomasStout8600

I'm using FMPro 10 Advanced on a Mac running OS 10.6.4 so I can't do the Advanced Recover option.

When I try to Save a Clone, I get the following error message: "Schedule.fp7 is damaged and cannot be opened.  Use the Recover command to recover this file."

• 14. Re: FM Crashing
                                    philmodjunk

Bummer. That definitely confirms that you have more wrong with your file than just the Grouped objects bug fooling the recover process.

If you can't find a clean copy, you may have to selectively delete tables and layouts until you get a copy that recovers, then either put back each deleted portion one at a time testing with recover repeatedly until you have narrowed down the problem to just the problem portions of the file or you may want to google FmDiff and check out their file repair services.

1 2 Previous Next