1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 12:21 PM by philmodjunk

FM database file wants a password to open it.  But I never gave the file a password.

DanKalb

Title

FM database file wants a password to open it.  But I never gave the file a password.

I recently converted an old FM 5.5 database (which never had a password) to FM 10.  I then spent a lot of time over a few days updating and making modifications to the database. I opened it twice (without any password) last week after converting it.

Now, when I tried to open it, it asked for an account name and password. It already had my name in for the account name; I don't remember ever giving this database file any password.  

It will not allow me to open the file as a guest.

Please, can anyone help me?  I've tried 20 different possible passwords that I might have used to no avail.  I really don't understand why it is asking for a password now, when it did not ask for one last week.  And I don't remember ever giving the file any password to begin with.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

-DK

• 1. Re: FM database file wants a password to open it.  But I never gave the file a password.
          philmodjunk

FileMaker will put your current UserName, as specified in preferences in as the default account name. That's why you see your user name appearing in the dialog.

Try opening the file this way:

enter Admin as the account name. Leave the password box empty and try to open the file. If that works, go to file options, click the "log in using" check box, then enter Admin as the account name and leave the password box empty. This is the standard "default" setting for new FileMaker files.

If that does not work, you might try opening the original 5.5 copy and check document preferences for this same password setting. Perhaps you set the original database to auto-enter a password and you've forgotten that detail.