9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 11:00 AM by philmodjunk

FM Export and PDF

nealt

Title

FM Export and PDF

I want to export HTML or create a PDF records as I see them in list view. Export just exports the records in table view. PDF from the print menu only prints the first record even though i have print all browsed records selected. Is there a way to get what I want?

Eventually I want to include this list on the we.

• 1. Re: FM Export and PDF
          TSGal

nealt:

Thank you for your post.

Printing to PDF should work for all records.  How does it appear in Preview?

Just to make sure this wasn't a problem, I tried this on my machine running FileMaker Pro 10 and OS X 10.5.6.  I'm not going to try this with every combination of machines, operating systems or versions of FileMaker Pro, so please let me know what set up you have, and I will try to duplicate it here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM Export and PDF
            nealt
               Yes only one record appears in print preview. I am using FM pro 10  with Mac os 10.5.6.
            • 3. Re: FM Export and PDF
              RayMentor
                 I posted on a similar issue. I came across a good reply to a question similar to yours. You can find it on the Forum under the message title: "Emailing out schedules to individual people - help!"  It may throw additional light on your issue.
              • 4. Re: FM Export and PDF
                TSGal

nealt:

If only one record appears in print preview, then one record should be exported.  However, if the one record that is showing is not in the Body, but in a Sub-Summary, Header, Footer, etc., then no records will appear in the Excel file.

Can you tell me what parts you have on your layout?  What fields?  I will try to duplicate it here. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FM Export and PDF
                  philmodjunk

Perhaps this will help:

If you have a found set of one record, then records being browsed and Current record behave identically. Keep in mind that Records Being browsed means "print/preview all the records in the current found set."

• 6. Re: FM Export and PDF
                    nealt
                       There are many records being browsed. The header and footer are blank. The record layout only contains a body with the fields of interest.
                    • 7. Re: FM Export and PDF
                      philmodjunk

nealt wrote:
                      There are many records being browsed. The header and footer are blank. The record layout only contains a body with the fields of interest.

Are you in list or form view? What caught my eye was the post that you see only one record when you preview. Since preview is supposed to predict exactly what you will see when you print/PDF a report, it's a good check to see if you've set things up right before you actually go ahead and print it or generate a PDF.

Let's make this question as effective as possible:

When you preview the report, is it different in anyway from the PDF you expect to get? If so, how? (If you are previewing a multi-page report, you can click through all the pages using the "book" control in the task bar.)

• 8. Re: FM Export and PDF
                        nealt
                           I am viewing the records in list view. The preview does give me the same image as PDF-the first record only. There is only one pdf page.
                        • 9. Re: FM Export and PDF
                          philmodjunk

nealt wrote:
                          I am viewing the records in list view. The preview does give me the same image as PDF-the first record only. There is only one pdf page.

That suggests that there is something happening with the layout, not the fact that you are attempting to generate a PDF. Otherwise, the preview would show all the records fairly close to what you see on your layout in browse mode.

What do you see in Browse mode? All the records in a list or just one record? My apologies if the questions seem to have obvious answers, but they help us rule out possible causes and avoid giving you bad advice due to incorrect assumptions.