8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 3:49 PM by AjEGfmTech

FM file won't open Permission Denied or Access Privileges damaged.

AjEGfmTech

Title

FM file won't open Permission Denied or Access Privileges damaged.

I cannot open three FM files.

We store our FM files on a MacMini server on our LAN. I had an FM12 file open last night and I lost power on the ethernet hub that my MacBook used to connect to the MacMini server. When I reconnected the MacBook this morning, the FM file was still open. I closed the file, quit FileMaker (Pro Advanced 13.0v1) and restarted the MacBook. When the MacBook came back up I launched FMPA13 and it popped up just fine.

HOWEVER, when I went to open the FM file it said, "The file [filename.fm12] could not be opened. (Permission Denied)"

I tried several different FM files and only the one I had open (and two other FM files that were connected relationally) have that error message. All other FM files open fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get these FM files open? Are these files toast?

We run CrashPlanPro on all our machines. I went to CPP and restored the main problem FM file. Now when I try to open it, the error message says, "The access privileges in this file have been damaged or possibly tampered with. Please contact FileMaker Technical Support if the problem cannot be resolved." That doesn't sound good. I tried calling FM Tech Support but they want me to pay for a support incident - I just upgraded to FMPA 13 at the end of Feb 2014 and there is no phone support without paying? Poor.

I tried restoring from another, older backup (by several days), but that had the same 'access privileges' error.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm surprised that FM files are this touchy? I'm currently in a single user situation. What do people do in multi-user situations? I can't be the first person to lose connection to a server that has FM files stored on it, can I?

Mac OS: 10.8.5
           FileMaker Pro Advance 13.0v1

• 1. Re: FM file won't open Permission Denied or Access Privileges damaged.
          philmodjunk

It would appear that your file(s) is/are damaged but you have older back up copies that are also showing this same issue and they would not have this issue from the mishap with your ethernet hub.

Normally, this error message indicates damage to your file that cannot be repaired by the recover process based on my personal experience.

But I would first carefully test each file on a computer that did not have any other files from this database system located in the same folder to make sure that the error message is due to opening the file you are checking and not from another file that is incidentally opened when you open the one that you are checking.

• 2. Re: FM file won't open Permission Denied or Access Privileges damaged.
            AjEGfmTech

Thanks a bunch Phil! Thanks to your advice, I moved the three 'bad' files into a separate folder, found that only one of them was creating the problem, restored the backup of that one from CrashPlanPro and was then able to open all three files. Once opened and closed successfully, I then replaced them back in their original folder. I'm back in business. Great!

One more question. When I was opening the three files after restoring the 'bad' one, one of the other files went through a 'consistency check' during the opening. Should I be concerned about the long term stability of that file?

Thanks again. Greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: FM file won't open Permission Denied or Access Privileges damaged.
              philmodjunk

When a FileMaker file is closed correctly via close file or exit application, a flag on the file is set to show that it was properly closed and not improperly closed due to a crash or force quit. When FileMaker opens a file and performs a consistency check on the file if the flag was not checked in an attempt to check for damage to the file. You might want to run a recover on that file to check for damage.

And note that if your back up software is backing up open filemaker files, if you are lucky, all that will happen is that FileMaker will run a consistency check on the file when they are opened. If you are unlucky the back up file could be damaged. So make sure that your back up software only backs up closed FileMaker files.

• 4. Re: FM file won't open Permission Denied or Access Privileges damaged.
                AjEGfmTech

Thanks Phil. I did do a 'Recover' on that file and it finished with no errors.

How would one go about instructing a backup software that does not know FileMaker (CrashPlanPro) that it should only backup closed FileMaker files?

• 5. Re: FM file won't open Permission Denied or Access Privileges damaged.
                  philmodjunk

I am not familiar with crashplan, but a typical method is to use a Filemaker Pro script or a Filemaker Server Schedule to make regular back ups of your file and then you set your 3rd party back up program to make back up copies of these backups. (Which can move the backed up data off of the host computer and into a remote location for better data security.)

• 6. Re: FM file won't open Permission Denied or Access Privileges damaged.
                    AjEGfmTech

Got it. That makes sense. So in our case, that FMP script (we don't have FM Server) would be set to run whenever the FM file is closed (I presume there is not a way to set it to run on a schedule that would close the file if opened and make the backup copy, or is there?). The script would make a copy to a designated folder that is within the folders that CrashPlan is watching for changed files, then CrashPlan would be told to exclude the folder where the 'live' database files are located. Makes sense. Thanks.

• 7. Re: FM file won't open Permission Denied or Access Privileges damaged.
                      philmodjunk

A script can use a $Path variable and Save A Copy As to save uniquely named files. This script could be set to run when the file is first opened, when it is closed (and this can be limited to closed or opened by a specific account or user name) and it can be scheduled to take place at regular intervals via Install OnTimerScript.

I sometimes use this method when developing a new database file to save regular back ups without having to remember to do so: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

• 8. Re: FM file won't open Permission Denied or Access Privileges damaged.
                        AjEGfmTech

Thanks Phil, that helps a lot!