1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 12:28 PM by PointInSpace

FM hosting and Remote Access

jasongan_1

Title

FM hosting and Remote Access

Hello, Everyone,

I need you advice.

We are rebuilding our website. and this time we want to add Online Ordering function for our retailer customers. Our office is using FileMaker DB to manage orders, customers and products, etc. And we don't want to host FM from our office.

We have two options:

1. using free shopping cart software (which supports MYSQL). Then manually download orders from MySQL, and import into our office FM DB. And also, manually export customers / products from FM and upload onto the MySQL.

But this way we don't prefer the manual operation, it is too tedious. So I am looking for a way to automate this. If from FM in the office I can remotely access to the MySQL Database, that will be perfect. I know FM supports odbc or jdbc, but I don't know if this would work.

Please let me know if there is a way to get around for this.

2. to find some company who can host FM. So that I can remotely access to the website FM from our office FM. that way it is perfect integration to me. But after I contact some hosting companies, which will give just 10 IWP connections for hosting FM. That worries me as we have about 2000 retailer customers. I don't know how many customers will go online ordering at the same time, but obviously we are expecting more than 10.  As you know FM DB can support IWP maximum 100 connections, I found out if I ask for 100 connections, the hosting company is going to charge me $150 / month as this will be virtual server package price.

Can someone let me know if my concern for 10 connections being not enough is right ot wrong?

I also heard IWP will be very slow, and difficult for developer customing.

It is decision time, but I am not sure which would be the best choice. Please help.

Or if you have any other idea, please let me know.

thank you very much

Jason@wildlydelicious.com

• 1. Re: FM hosting and Remote Access
          PointInSpace

My company provides FileMaker hosting.  We include 25 FileMaker Network Sharing, 25 IWP and 25 CWP (PHP) connections with our shared accounts.  I would recommend using Custom Web Publishing (PHP), as it will support many more simultaneous users since connections are only opened during queries instead of throughout the user's session.

Contact me if you want more information about our hosting services.

- John