8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2011 1:34 AM by Sorbsbuster

FM import to Excel 2010

theta

Title

FM import to Excel 2010

How can I import some values form FM fields to an Excel 2010 worksheet?

• 1. Re: FM import to Excel 2010
          Sorbsbuster

You could export the data as a merge file and set up Excel to import from that data file.

• 2. Re: FM import to Excel 2010
            theta

I know that, but it doesn't work for me. I would like to import data directly from FM.

• 3. Re: FM import to Excel 2010
              philmodjunk

Is it possible to establish an ODBC connection from Excel to FileMaker such that FileMaker is the data source?

(Excel can't import directly from FileMaker, though filemaker can export to create an Excel file--but don't think that option is what you want here...)

• 4. Re: FM import to Excel 2010
                theta

I dont know how to do that. Can you tell me how it can be done?

• 5. Re: FM import to Excel 2010
                  philmodjunk

Sorry, but....

It's my understanding that a FileMaker file can serve as the source in an ODBC connection with another application, but I don't know for sure that it can be done as I have never done this myself. That's why I posted it as a question: "Is it possible..."

What keeps Exporting from FileMaker, then importing into Excel from working for you? (If you can get that options working, it will be simpler to set up.)

• 6. Re: FM import to Excel 2010
                    Sorbsbuster

You can even script the exporting of the data and the importing into Excel to function as a seamless scripted button in Filemaker.  But you need to explain why you can't do those steps manually now (ie: exporting to a merge file and importing to an Excel sheet.)

• 7. Re: FM import to Excel 2010
                      philmodjunk

@Sorbsbuster, I'm curious. How do you make it seemless? Send Event?

• 8. Re: FM import to Excel 2010
                        Sorbsbuster

We would set up the text import to refresh, no dialogue, 'on open' in the spreadsheet, then, as you say, finish the FM script with a Send Event to open the spreadsheet.  As far as the user is concerned they click the button and next thing they see the chart / pivot table of the year's sales, etc.

The biggest pain is setting up the security of the Excel sheet to suppress all the 'Are you sure you're sure' dialogues.

(It was exploring that that got us down the road of doing the same thing but with the Excel sheet embedded in a container field, so the whole thing really did stay within FM.  But the lack of any help from FM Support killed what seemed like a terrific opportunity.)