AnsweredAssumed Answered

FM newbie seeks knowledge/advice

Question asked by jimnagle on Jan 22, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 by jimnagle

Title

FM newbie seeks knowledge/advice

I work at NIH and have recently been tasked to help 'rehabilitate' a DB in FM pro 11 which lets say is working sub-optimally.

I am NOT an expert by any means in FM or DBs generally.

The DB in question contains patient records including videos from patient examinations. One main issue with the DB seems to be cross platform performance. Current protocol directs users to only upload videos into the DB using a PC with a mapped drive to the location of the videos. A problem arises when someone attempts to use a mac to view a given video which generates an error message basically saying it can't find the file. But clicking on that box initiates a dialog box (on the mac) offering the chance to navigate to the folder with the video. If you do this, the video not only fails to play, but will then not play from a PC either (it formerly would work when clicked on from a PC). The DB was originally established/designed with the folder of videos linked to the DB as opposed to embedded.

Can this scenario be improved upon by upgrading to a more recent version of FM? I've been told newer versions of FM have the capability to display as a webpage. Is this a possible solution?

I believe the original DB was set up with links to the videos rather than having them embedded for a number of good reasons although the DB itself isn't that huge (~ 500 patients), for one thing it kept the DB smaller. Also if embedded, the DB would convert the files to binary format? I probably do not completely understand the full implications of this part.

Basically what we would like is for the DB to work in a more robust way across platforms rather than only on PCs for both uploading videos as well as for playing back videos. I hope this isn't asking too much.

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Outcomes