4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 11:41 AM by Christian

    FM Not Displaying Correct Search

    Christian

      Title

      FM Not Displaying Correct Search

      Post

           I have a checkbox (see photo attachment) set that my department uses to search for all checked options.  For some reason, when I click on "Find" and check the boxes I want to query, FM queries each item individually, and provides a WHOLE set of results.

           In example, when I perform a query for all "Active" + "Professors" and click "Perform Find," FM provides results for all Active personnel (whether or not they're professors), AND all Professors (whether or not they're active), and NOT personnel who are both Active AND Professors.

           How do I set this up so that FM seaches everything that is currently checked?

            

           [EDIT: This function must work in the native application as well as in Instant Web Publishing.]

      Screen_Shot_2012-12-06_at_12.35.40_PM.png

        • 1. Re: FM Not Displaying Correct Search
          philmodjunk

               This doesn't add up.

               If I have a checkbox group on a text field, I enter find mode, select two different checkbox values in that field, I get a found set of only those records where both values are selected.

               So what exact method are you using to query the database?

               If you are using a script, you may need to post that script:

               To post a script to the forum:

                 
          1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
          2.      
          3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here.
          4.      
          5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          6.      
          7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format. (Use the HTML option on the database tab panel and paste the text into the forum's HTML editor.)
          • 2. Re: FM Not Displaying Correct Search
            Christian

                 No script.  I'm just using the built-in "Find" function.

                  

                 Some professors may have more than one field checked - For example, They may be "Active" "Faculty" who are "Professors" and "Chairs"

                 But when I perform a find for "Active" Professors", I still want that recrord to be included.

                 The old database from which I imported all information works just fine with this search.  This one, however, does not.  I have no idea why.

            • 3. Re: FM Not Displaying Correct Search
              philmodjunk

                   I think you need to check the actual data in the field. A checkbox or radio button format will hide data from view if that data doesn't exactly match one of the values in the current set of values defined in the field's value list.

                   Then, put a copy of your checkbox formatted field next to the original, but use the inspector to convert it back to an edit box. Then try performing your find and inspect that actual text shown in the edit box version of this field for each record found. It's possible that your find criteria is matching to data not visible in the field when it is formatted with the current set of check box values.

              • 4. Re: FM Not Displaying Correct Search
                Christian

                     Okay, I think you may have given my a lightbulb moment. 

                     When I created the new database, I edited the checkbox fields when I imported - because it's just based on a value list.

                     What I did was copy and paste the list from the old database into the new one, and everything seems to work now.  I have no idea why.  But all of the value text matches what was in the old database.