5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 3:52 PM by philmodjunk

FM Pro - Portal selected row selected is ref to other portal list ?

Stigge

Title

FM Pro - Portal selected row selected is ref to other portal list ?

Hi

Am having 2 databases, 1 with PC´s (named) and 1 with Software.

They are linked by PC name, so each software has one PC name in its database.

Am showing the PC`s in an Portal, and by clicking each PC it will show on another portal what software is linked.

At the moment all i have succeded in is showing all software based on all PC`s of the other portal :/

Do anyone have any idee how to easiest salve this ?

Thanks

/Mikael

• 1. Re: FM Pro - Portal selected row selected is ref to other portal list ?
          philmodjunk

You have two Tables, PC and Software linked in a one to one relationship by PC name. What do you do if the same software is installed on two different PC's? Create duplicate (except for the PC Name) records in Software?

Am showing the PC`s in an Portal, and by clicking each PC it will show on another portal what software is linked.

To what table does your Layout refer? (In Layout Setup | Show Records From, what Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? is named?)

• 2. Re: FM Pro - Portal selected row selected is ref to other portal list ?
            Stigge

PhilModJunk:

If i did that am breaking the law.. =)  if i purchase 10 licenses for example Adobe Acrobat, then i register it in 10 raws in the table.. so each licens is unique.

• 3. Re: FM Pro - Portal selected row selected is ref to other portal list ?
              philmodjunk

That would depend on what you are documenting in the software table which is why I asked the question.

You may find it helpful to set up your tables like this:

PCs-----<Installs>------Software

PC::__pkPCID = Installs::_fkPCID
                   Software::__pkSoftwareID = Installs::_fkSoftwareID

You'd record info specific to the software such as name, description and version in Software and record info that is specific to that particular installation on that specific PC, such as the license key, in Installs.

But your last post does not answer my other questions and they are key to getting your layout to work as needed.

• 4. Re: FM Pro - Portal selected row selected is ref to other portal list ?
                Stigge

Ok.. sorry (english isnt my first language)

Gona try to explane
                     here is some fields in the 2 diffrent tables (alot more but not relevant to the question)

Table 1:
                     PC Name - serial nr - puirchase dates etc etc as fields

Table 2:
                     Software name - version - license key - PC Name (installed on ) - etc ect

Both these tables are shown in 2 portals.
                     So my question is simply:

Table 1 is on Portal 1 and Table 2 is on Portal 2.

Function am trying to salve is:
                     Click PC Name in Portal 1 and Portal 2 then shows all Table 2 content that agrees to that PC Name clicked.

Did that make more sence ??? =)

• 5. Re: FM Pro - Portal selected row selected is ref to other portal list ?
                  philmodjunk

It still leaves my main question unanswered:

Putting a portal to each table on the same layout means that there must be a relationship between the layout's table and the portals'. But you have only identified two tables. On what table is your layout based? How is that table linked to the two tables you have described here?

To see what table is specified for a given layout, open Layout Setup.. and check the name selected in the "Show Records From" drop down. This name is the name of a "box" in Manage | Database | Relationships and this box, in turn refers to a table in Manage | Database | Tables as well as being the basis for any relationships you might use for your portals.