5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2009 12:56 PM by mwc_1

FM Pro 10 used on different computers.

jofuss55

Title

FM Pro 10 used on different computers.

I have 2 MacBooks and a PowerPC G5 all with FM Pro 10 installed. I created a database of Members and dues etc and , as I'm the Secretary, I update the data base away from home and I want to update the databases on the other computers. I have a wireless network to which all connect. Is there a less tedious way of doing this than copying the file and e-mailing it to the other computers and replacing the files ?

• 1. Re: FM Pro 10 used on different computers.
          TSGal

jofuss55:

Thank you for your post.

You may want to consider having this file on the network.  That way, the file is in one place, and everyone can access and update it (depending on access privileges) simultaneously.  That is, no need to copy it to each person's machine.  It is available at all times with the most recent information.

Is there a reason why each person needs their own copy of the file?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Pro 10 used on different computers.
            jofuss55

Sorry, my poor description reduced the effectiveness of your answer. I don't have a  "network" in the sense that there is a central hard drive and storage as in a business situation, but rather I have a wireless "network" via Airport Extreme to wirelessly connect to the broadband connection.

Joe McB 

• 3. Re: FM Pro 10 used on different computers.
              mwc_1

When you update your database and are away from home as you state....are you in places you have wifi access or are you updating while completely offline?

If you have inet access away from home...I'd setup one of you home machines to serve out the database, open your firewall, and connect to that remotely.

If you are offline while away and updating, I don't see any other way then what you are doing now...

• 4. Re: FM Pro 10 used on different computers.
                jofuss55

When I update the database I do have wifi .How do I do what you suggest?

• 5. Re: FM Pro 10 used on different computers.
                  mwc_1

lookup sharing in your filemaker help.

I would use ONE of your stationary(home) machines to share out the data (server)

then use your other computers as clients...

IWP - Instant web publishing may be the easiest route to look at. (all your client computers connect to your main data via a web browser)