13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 11:48 AM by mrvodka

FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM

WJK

Title

FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM

We've been running FM Pro 10 v1 with FM Server v10 since release. We run Vista mostly (& XP Pro). Recently we rolled out Windows 7 Enterprise on our client desktops (the RTM version was available to Volume License customers on 14th August).
      All went well until I installed 10 v3 on one Windows 7 desktop. This client can no longer "see" the database running on our server. Thinking it might be a server issue I also updated FM 10 Server to v2. Thinking it might be a client issue I re-installed 10 v1, and then re-applied v3. No change. When trying to access the server database I get a message that the host is unavailable or the file is unavailable on the host.

• 1. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
          TSGal

WJK:

Thank you for your post.

Is it just one of the Windows 7 Enterprise computers that is unable to see hosted files?  Or, is it all of them?  If just one, try copying the server.pem file from one of the working machines to the non-working machine.  The file is located at:

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 10\server.pem

If this doesn't work, physically switch the non working machine with a working machine.  If it now works, and the working machine doesn't, then you have a network/router issue.

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful in determining the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
            WJK

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is just one of our Windows 7 Enterprise computers. However, this is because it's the only one on which 10 v3 has so far been installed.

Would a server.pem from a v10 machine work?

If I uninstall 10 v3 and re-install 10 v1 the system is able to connect to the 10 v2 Server.

• 3. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM

@WJK

did you check the firewall settings of that particular computer? / Control panel / System & Security / Windows Firewall / Advanced Settings / Inbound Rules / There should be 2 entries for filemaker, one for UDP-all ports allowed and one for TCP-all ports allowed.

I run Windows 7 ultimate , but i am not member of a domain and you probably are, so you may also need to check the following option in both the Inbound rules for Filemaker: Properties / Advanced / Profiles , here you should activate "Domain" , "Private" is probably already activated ;)

Hope this helps,

regards, Menno

• 4. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
                WJK
                   Thanks Menno. No I didn't check the Firewall settings...at least not until you advised. They are as you describe (though I've taken the opportunity to switch off legacy versions 8.5 & 9. UDP and TCP all ports. Domain setting is on. I won't go quietly!
                • 5. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
                  MikeyG79

Just tried this. 

Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit)

Installed FMA 10v1 (no bonjour) - was able to add a favorite server, see all the files it was hosting, and connect to one of them.

Updated to FMA 10v3 (still no bonjour) and was still able to see the hosted files and connect to them.

• 6. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
                    WJK
                       Wow. That's unexpected. I thought Bonjour was mandatory for v10. I'll give it a try. What do I lose by taking it out, I wonder?
                    • 7. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
                      WJK
                         Just tried uninstalling Bonjour but received a warning that 3 running programs would be affected: Outlook 2007, Remote Desktops, and Filemaker (which isn't running). I'm unwilling to risk these other programs for the moment and surprised that Bonjour should have so many "connections". I'll just have to fall back on FileMaker 10 v1 running on a laptop beside my desktop for now. Thanks for all your efforts everyone.
                      • 8. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
                        MikeyG79
                           It's my understanding that bonjour is needed to find other hosts that are serving files. In my case, I don't need that feature and would rather not install any un-needed software.
                        • 9. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
                          WJK
                             Interesting. Looks like I don't need Bonjour either. Nor iTunes Updates! I'll try this early tomorrow before our network wakes up and let you know how I get on. Many thanks for your help.
                          • 10. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
                            WJK
                               I've uninstalled Bonjour but still can't access our hosted database on FM Server. I can add the server IP and the file to Favourite files but when I try to connect I get the same error message. "[filename]" could not be opened. Either the host is not available or the file is not available on that host."
                            • 11. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
                              adrianjuhl

Are you using the MSI files to install??

I had exactly the same issues as you described.

What I did.

Added exemptions to All Programs and All TCP Ports.

Turned off ALL firewalls, public, home , domain etc.

Disabled DEC? (cant remember) in group policy.

Copied over the server.pes files etc.

In the end the fix came down to this.

We run the filemaker msi files for install using the script for install.

When I ran the repair, I used the msi file.  No fix.

Completely fed up, I ran the setup.exe file as I was being lazy and it was in front of me.

It popped up the license key etc details so I opened up my script file and copied and pasted them in, what the hell.

Finished the repair option and now it works. 

See's the remote database's on the network etc. No problems at all. Turned back on firewalls and still works.

Did this using any version of the Filemaker 10 client.

Hope this helps.

• 12. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
                                WJK

Thanks for your post, Adrian, but I must admit it looked too complicated for me. Most of what you prescribed I found was unnecessary.

This was my eventual fix:

1. Run the FMPro10v3 updater.

2. This creates a new set of files and folders under the main FMICD folder (correct me if I'm wrong) and then offers to continue the install.

3. When the install is complete I am unable to attach to the FM Server hosted database (even when I can "see" it in the Open Remote dialog).

4. Don't bother to install Bonjour as this is unnecessary when you are hosting in a single Windows domain, as far as I can tell.

5. The trick is then to re-run setup from the files folder (though unassist.txt doesn't seem to do its job; I have to re-type the serial number). Choose the Repair Install option.

6. It's now possible to attach to the database with FM Pro 10 v3 (from two workstations). Don't know yet what I'll do for the other 12.

• 13. Re: FM Pro 10 v3 Update Doesn't Work on Windows 7 RTM
                                  mrvodka
                                     Bonjour is needed on the server, not for the Pro client unless you want to search across the network.