5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 7:39 AM by philmodjunk

FM Pro 11 no longer running backups

MegKennedy

Title

FM Pro 11 no longer running backups

In July I started the update process to FMP 12. Upon learning that the files would no longer be compatible with earlier versions (FMP 8, 10, etc.) I reverted our system back to FMP 11 (currently undecided how we'll move forward with the update). Ever since, the system has not  been running back ups at regular intervals, or at all for that matter. How do I fix this and/or set it up again for FMP 11.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: FM Pro 11 no longer running backups
          philmodjunk

Automatic backups are not a built in feature of FileMaker Pro. Is the system hosted with FileMaker Server and a server schedule is supposed to back up your file? Or are you using some other method to back up the file such as a script with save a copy as...?

• 2. Re: FM Pro 11 no longer running backups
            MegKennedy

Yes, I failed to communicate that piece of information. The back ups are scheduled via the Filemaker Server and are supposed to occur, I think, every three hours, once every day, and once every week. These back ups have not run since the day I tried to upgrade to FMP 12 so I imagine this problem is user created.

• 3. Re: FM Pro 11 no longer running backups
              philmodjunk

First step then would be to open the server admin console and check the status on the schedule as well as the other details on how the schedule is setup.

There was/is? a poorly understood bug found mainly in Server 10, but for which I've seen reports for server 11 where a server schedule never leaves the "running" status and you have to restart the server computer to clear the "hang".

• 4. Re: FM Pro 11 no longer running backups
                MegKennedy

From what I can tell the backups are running, but not saving where they usually saved before I attempted to (but subsequently didn't) upgrade to FMP12. As a matter of fact I can't acutally find the folder with the backups. Every time I try to create a new file path for the backup folder it alerts me that it isn't a valid path. I want to save the backups on our company server, not my individual machine. What am I doint wrong?

• 5. Re: FM Pro 11 no longer running backups
                  philmodjunk

Backups must be made to the same computer on which server is installed. Server will not backup to a different computer. To do that, you generate a backup copy to the server computer and use 3rd party software to copy the back up to the remote location.