7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2012 11:49 AM by philmodjunk

FM Pro 12 doesn't see shared FM Pro 11 database on local network

Alf_1

Title

FM Pro 12 doesn't see shared FM Pro 11 database on local network

I just installed FM Pro 12, and tried to access some shared files running on a Power Mac running vers 11 of FM Pro. Curiously, it doesn't see the shared Computer while FM Pro 11 will see the shard computer as Local host. If I try to connect using the IP address (which works fine in FM 11) I get a message that the host or the file is not available. Any suggestions?

vers. 12 is on a Mac Pro running ver. 10.6.8

thanks

• 1. Re: FM Pro 12 doesn't see shared FM Pro 11 database on local network
          rmanook

Alf:

Thanks for posting.

This is expected behavior due to FileMaker 12's introduction of a new file format: .fmp12.  FileMaker Pro 7-11, for example, use the file format .fp7.

Because of this, FileMaker 12 is unable to view and modify FileMaker files hosted by previous versions and vice versa.

Options at this time are to convert the existing databases to .fmp12 and upgrade the FileMaker 11 clients to 12.  Or, if you'd rather wait, continue working in the FileMaker 11 environment while testing with FileMaker 12.

Thanks,
          tsurtle
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM Pro 12 doesn't see shared FM Pro 11 database on local network
            philmodjunk

Versions 7 through 11 can see and open the same files as the file format did not change. Since there is a file format change with version 12, it would not be suprising to see that it can't access hosted files of the older format as it would have to create converted copies of the file before it could open them.

• 3. Re: FM Pro 12 doesn't see shared FM Pro 11 database on local network
              Alf_1

More info:  I notice that the files being served by FMP 11 have an extension of ".fp7" - they were originally hosted by Filemaker Server 7 but now FMP 11 can do this. If I add the extension to open remote file - such as "fmnet:/IP_address/filename.fp7" I still get an error.  If I try to connect using "fmnet:/IP_address/filename"  I get the same error but message says that filename.fmp12 is not available. Thanks again

• 4. Re: FM Pro 12 doesn't see shared FM Pro 11 database on local network
                carlsson_1

Is it possible to hos .fp7-files with FM Server 12?

Ie, so users still on FM11 may be able to open their files.

• 5. Re: FM Pro 12 doesn't see shared FM Pro 11 database on local network
                  carlsson_1

Or: Am I able to have both FM Server 11 and 12 installed on the same machine?

• 6. Re: FM Pro 12 doesn't see shared FM Pro 11 database on local network
                    JamesElander

Hi,

First an editorial comment------I have been a Filemaker User for a LONG TIME and even I am getting tired of these outrageous prices and silly "games" with compatibility issues---as mentioned above----I can tell you that the organization that I work for is large and has been gradually weaning FM from it's list of software because of the outrageous pricing and "silly" issues mentioned in this email thread. I know that I will get the big "see ya later" ---but I feel compelled to tell you anyway.

My question:

I have FM Server 11 Advanced and have DB's that I cannot access with the FM Client 12----after spending $775 for some FM 12 client copies----- I have some machines in my biz that have FM Client 11 and now some with FM Client 12. What is the easiest workaround for me to get ALL my folks to "see and access" important files on FM Server 11 Advanced? If I take the files down from Server and "save as" FM12 will the FM Client 11 folks be able to "see" and access after i put back up on Server 11? Is it even possible to take the DB off the server ---open and resave as a FM12 DB and then put back up on the FM Server 11 Advanced........

BTW- Did i mention that we just bought FM Server 11 Advanced just 8 mos ago and now you guys want $1800 for the UPGRADE ? .......outrageous ......

• 7. Re: FM Pro 12 doesn't see shared FM Pro 11 database on local network
                      philmodjunk

You cannot access hoste .fp7 files from Filemaker 12.

.fp7 was kept as the same file extension for versions 7 through 11 as they did not change the file format for those releases. I can't say this for sure as I am just a fellow user, but I believe the format change was necessary to support some of the new features they chose to include with this version.

From a historical point of view, releases of FMp 3, 4, 5 and 6 all included new file formats and the accompanying upgrade and compatibility issues we are now revisitng with the release of FileMaker 12.