1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2015 3:12 PM by disabled_JustinClose

FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files

Paper_Queen

Title

FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files

I routinely download .xlsx spreadsheets from Google Docs, then import them into FM Pro 12. Have been doing it for quite some time, on a weekly basis.

Today, on a MacBook Air (OS 10.7.4), FM is refusing to import the .xlsx file, giving me the following error message:

The selected Excel workbook has an unsupported file format. Please convert the workbook to the Excel 2007, or Excel 2008 file format and try again.

Anyone have any idea why I'm suddenly hitting a brick wall...? Is this a disconnect between FMP and Lion? If so, how do I fix it? (Google Docs only supports the .xlsx format--not the older .xls version.)

Sure, I could manually open a different program, convert the download to .xls, then import that into FMP, but why? FMP supports .xlsx, but doesn't seem to want to on the Air.

Advice, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
          philmodjunk

Can you open the file in Excel?

• 2. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
            Paper_Queen

I don't use (or own) Excel, but am able to open it without problems in both Numbers and Open Office.

:::argh:::: Accidentally clicked a link that flagged @PhilModJunk's response as "Best Answer" and can't find a way to undo it. Sorry.

• 3. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
              davidanders

I would download  a different xlsx file and test.  Or reload a previous file that DID work.

A bit can be flipped in transfer that most programs ignore and others balk at.

• 4. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
                Paper_Queen

@DavidAnders:

It's consistent, in that every single .xlsx file is being refused. 

Just looked back at my original post, and see I accidentally misspoke. In the past, Google provided .xls downloads, which always worked. Google now provides only .xlsx, which FM refuses to import.

The FM website clearly advertises both formats as accepted, thus my frustration.

Sorry 'bout the typo in my original post.

• 5. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
                  Paper_Queen

P.S. Anyone know how to un-Best Answer a response? I didn't mean to click that link on the first response to this query (no offense, PhilModJunk), since it isn't an answer or solution.

• 6. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
                    philmodjunk

No offense taken and there's no easy way to "unselect" an answer--you are far from the first to accidently click that, I've done that myself. It takes either Modman or one of the "TS" folks to fix that one.

If you have FMP installed on more than one machine, I'd test this on another machine. That should tell us whether the problem is unique to one machine or not. In the same spirit, you can create a small test database and try importing into it. If that works, the issue lies with your file and maybe it should be recovered.

• 7. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
                      Paper_Queen

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Wanted to wait until I had my MBP back from the Apple Store (repair) to try this out on the machine I use most often.

Sure 'nuff. It won't import there either, to the same database. Got the same error message as before (when trying to import on the Air).

This is odd, since it's a database that's been in active use for several years, and on FMP 12 since shortly after the version release.

MBA: 10.7.4

MBP: 10.6.8

FMP 12.0.2 on both

• 8. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
                        philmodjunk

to repeat:

In the same spirit, you can create a small test database and try importing into it. If that works, the issue lies with your file and maybe it should be recovered.

• 9. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
                          TKnTexas

I have seen other postings with users having problems importing Excel file formats created by Numbers.  I would suggest using a different file format to see if the import works, possibly CSV or Tab-delimited.

• 10. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
                            Paper_Queen

@PhilModJunk: Tried it. Still a no-go. Between trying mutliple computers, different operating systems (all OS though), downloading from different browsers, and importing to different FM databases, there's only one common thread left. Google Docs.

The files DO open in Numbers and OpenOffice. Only FM refuses to accept them.

Why this worked flawlessly, but suddenly, stopped, is beyond me. 

@TKTexas: We're not importing from Numbers---these are .xlsx files downloaded from Google Docs, originated on Google Docs Forms. Have been using this process for nearly four years, with this specific FM database. Rather than complicate our ongoing processes, or add yet more steps to "wash" the .xlsx files to make them work, I'd prefer FM update whatever is tripping up when an .xlsx import is involved.

Very frustrating.

• 11. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
                              philmodjunk

The issue may lie with some change made in how Google Docs generates the file. If you feel that this is a possible bug, you can click on Report an Issue and report it. You can save typing by posting a link to this thread instead of re-stating everything already posted here.

• 12. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
                                Paper_Queen

@PhilModJunk: Sounds like a plan. I just tried four more downloaded files (from Google Docs) in two more FM databases on two different computers. Still stuck. FM won't even touch the .xlsx files.

Thanks for the suggestion--washing every single download through OpenOffice to convert it to .xls (which does still work) is quickly becoming a problem.

• 13. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
                                  Sorbsbuster

davidanders suggetsed: "I would download  a different xlsx file and test."

Can I emphasize his suggestion: "I would create a different xlsx file in Excel or some other application and test."

As far as I can see you are always testing a GoogleDoc 'xlsx' file format, and then saying that FM12 won't import xlsx files.  If you have an Excel-generated xlsx file will it import?  Or what happens if you export data from an FM file in xlsx format?  Does FM import it then?

The suggestions are to isolate whether the change is on the part of FM12 and its reading of xlsx files, or on GoogleDocs and its generation of them.

• 14. Re: FM Pro 12 refusing to import xlsx files
                                    Paper_Queen

@davidanders: 

I hear what you're saying, but 100% of the spreadsheets we work with are downloaded from Google Docs--not one is generated locally (we don't even own a copy of Excel).

Additionally, exporting from FM isn't the issue/problem--that works, but import (the issue here) doesn't.

Bottom line, FM advertises that it's capable of importing .xlsx documents. There's no "but only if it's generated directly from Excel, Numbers, etc." qualification. 

1 2 Previous Next