This is the procedure that I use:
1. Close all windows in FileMaker Go on your iPad: tap the square box top left and then tap "Close All".
2. Open iTunes and click your iPad's button at top right.
3. Click the "Apps" tab at the top centre (Summary Info Apps Music …)
4. Click on the FileMaker Go icon in the File Sharing list at the bottom.
5. Select the FileMaker document that you replace from the FileMaker Go Documents list on the right.
6. Click the "Add" button.
7. Select the file from the Open dialog list.
8. Click the Open button.
9. Click the Replace button.
10. Eject your iPad from iTunes
11. Open FileMaker Go on your iPad
There is no "sync" unless you use third-party software like GoZync or MirrorSync (sp?). However, you can use FM Go as a client over WiFi LAN or Internet to a hosted FM Pro or FM Server on your Mac. In this configuration, your changes on FM Go are automatically updated on FM Pro and vise-versa.
Thanks for the advice. You did save me a step!