5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 11:12 AM by philmodjunk

Fm pro 8.5  Trying to creat a barcode triggered membership tracking plus db

TimDailey

Title

Fm pro 8.5  Trying to creat a barcode triggered membership tracking plus db

HELP. I have this situation. Scanner will place number in field. Then I need to run a script and or series of subscrits to log either patron attendance, Guard log in and out (for payroll), Guest time in and patron number they are connected to, the guard will also record the chemical readings for pools and lastly guards will log any incident reports.

They will only have the barcode reader, no other input device. Unique barcodes on membership cards (seven digits starting with a "1") and each gaurd will have a unique barcode (seven digits starting with a "2") They will have a binder with other unique barcodes that will enable them to access the Chemical log and allow them to scan the appropriate Chlorine and Ph levels for the pool they are recording into the db.

I have the scripts written to lookup the correct info in the Patron Info file and the Guard info file using the "if left ...="1" then run ..."

I can not figure out how to write the script to transfer the scanned number into the attendance log layout (or any other layout) so that the script will create a new record and lookup the appropriate info.

And if I put a "tab" command into the printed barcode will that be enough to trigger the script?

• 1. Re: Fm pro 8.5  Trying to creat a barcode triggered membership tracking plus db
          philmodjunk

Since you don't have script triggers with 8.5, tab won't do you any good. What you can do is pause a script and have the scanner append the code for the enter key (numeric keypad enter key), to continue the paused script after the data is scanned into a field.

I'd set up a screen with a global field and a button for each of the scanning tasks or a single script that checks the barcode entered and identifies whether the code scanned belongs to a guard or a patron and then performs the appropriate sub script.

Either way you click a button to start a script that uses go to field to put the cursor in the global text field and then pauses. The scanner inputs the scanned text plus the enter key code and this continues the paused script--which then can process the data in the global field as needed.

• 2. Re: Fm pro 8.5  Trying to creat a barcode triggered membership tracking plus db
            TimDailey

Phil, I took your advise and used a paused script. It works until I create the actual bar code. I am using 128 and tried appending a vertical tab, horizontal tab, and a carrage return and it partially works until I call in another layout. I tried using the behavior controls and they made things worse as I changed from tab to line to whatever. I have a laser scanner and it is suppossed to read 128. I created the bar codes on P-Touch editor. I'm getting closer. I really appreciate your help. Any suggestions?  Tim

• 3. Re: Fm pro 8.5  Trying to creat a barcode triggered membership tracking plus db
              philmodjunk

I don't understand what this means: " and it partially works until I call in another layout."

Most barcode scanners can be configured to append characters to the beginning and end of the text scanned in from the bar code. You'll need to investigate the techincal info that comes with your scanner to learn how to configure it to do this. The first time I set up a scanner, I had to call their tech support to get the needed technical info, but then it was quite easy to configure. Your mileage may vary...

The key to this trick is that when a script is paused, pressing the enter key is the same as clicking the continue button on the screen. Since scanners work in "keyboard emulation mode", the data input from them is process just as though it came from the keyboard. Thus the character code for the enter key will trigger the paused script to continue.

• 4. Re: Fm pro 8.5  Trying to creat a barcode triggered membership tracking plus db
                TimDailey

Ok, I have 3 db files Main, Patrons and Guards (these two only provide the lookup info and are never changed by the script). Main has 4  tables, main, IR report log, Chem log, Guest log. The Script starts to run upon opening the file. If I type the "Number" in, everything functions as I had planned it. If I scan in the bar code, my "If left main:number,1="1" then ... and "2" work But when I use a 3000000 to 5000000 then it reqires the script to go to a different layout and that is where the typing vs scanning diverges. And I can't figure out why. The program that will print the bar codes is suppossed to be able to place a control code at the end of the number. Go figure. Tim

• 5. Re: Fm pro 8.5  Trying to creat a barcode triggered membership tracking plus db
                  philmodjunk

I would put all tables in one file as this makes setting things up a bit simpler.

Yes, but is it correctly appending the correct code? If you are getting a difference in how the script performs when you type in the data instead of scanning it, that's the very first thing to confirm.

Put a second text field on the layout and put both in the tab order. Specify in field behavior that "Enter" moves you to the next field. Put the cursor in the text field, but do not perform the script.

Scan an item.

What happens to the cursor? Does it stay in the same field or do you see the scanned text in the first field and the cursor appears in the second?

If it's successfully appending the enter code to the end of the scanned text, you'll see the cursor move to the next field. If it does not, the cursor will remain in the first field.