4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2012 10:25 AM by fabiuz

FM Pro ADV 11 and OS X: if focus is lost at start up, FM will not work. BUG ?

fabiuz

Title

FM Pro ADV 11 and OS X: if focus is lost at start up, FM will not work. BUG ?

Hi,

did you notice that if you double click your FM database file and you go to any other application while FM is loading FM will not work well. When I do that I am often unable to input data or the db is working very slowly.

To fix this I have to start FM and wait that it is completely loaded before change focus to a different application.

That happens on all versions of FM Pro adv 11, even on OS X Snow Leopard and Lion too.

Does anybody know why this happens and if it is possible to have a fix for it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: FM Pro ADV 11 and OS X: if focus is lost at start up, FM will not work. BUG ?
          philmodjunk

By any chance, do you see the FileMaker Icon "bouncing" in the dock?

If so, for More Information see:     FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: FM Pro ADV 11 and OS X: if focus is lost at start up, FM will not work. BUG ?
            fabiuz

Thanks, yes icon is bouncing,

July 2012, OS X Lion, FM Pro Adv 11, bug is still there.

It seems they add reports but nobody takes care or read them.

Upgrade to versione 12 is expensive and I don't think it will solve.

• 3. Re: FM Pro ADV 11 and OS X: if focus is lost at start up, FM will not work. BUG ?
              philmodjunk

It seems they add reports but nobody takes care or read them.

If you check over the reports, almost all get a response from someone from FileMaker Inc. They'll have a forum name that starts with TS. These techs maintain FileMaker's internal bug database (not the one I've created) used to track the bugs and they will work with the person posting the issue report until they can either replicate the bug or help the user correct how they use the database so as not to encounter the issue.

They do not set the priorities as to which bugs will be fixed and when and FileMaker does not announce what fixes will be made nor when such an update might be released.

If you review the earliest posts of the known bug list or the matching entries in the database, you'll find that a number of them have been resolved by bug fix releases or releases of new versions of the software.

Just by my own tests, I've so far been able to document the closure of 18 bugs due to the fact that I can't reproduce them in FileMaker 12 on a windows system. I'm currently seeking/working with some Mac volunteers to update issues like this one where the bug is specific to the Mac OS as I cannot test them.

Upgrade to versione 12 is expensive and I don't think it will solve.

You could download the 30 day free trial and find out for yourself if it has this same issue. If you do this, please let me know what you find out so that I can update my bugs list accordingly and thus better serve the FileMaker community.

• 4. Re: FM Pro ADV 11 and OS X: if focus is lost at start up, FM will not work. BUG ?
                fabiuz

Sure,

what I mean in few words is that this bug has been discovered and tracked in 2009, three years ago, in my opinion this can mean things only: they don't care about (even if they reply to the posts) or they are unable to fix it (they have lost sourch code of that piece of software?).

I hope they can fix this and that I have not to pay a lot for a new version that I don't need.