4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 10:41 AM by philmodjunk

FM Pro Advanced Trial?

BryanCooper

Title

FM Pro Advanced Trial?

Is this available?  I need to convert a large database with about 15 tables into FM.  I read the Advanced version

lets me create multiple tables into 1 database.  This is essential for this project.  From the website, it looks like I can trial the Pro version but only got link to the regular.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: FM Pro Advanced Trial?
          philmodjunk

It does not convert multiple tables into one database, but it can make the process a little easier. It is not avialable as a trial download as far as I know. You may want to web search for a product called FMMigrator and see if they've released a version that works with version 12 yet. If not, it does work with version 11 and thus you could merge your tables first, then convert to 12.

• 2. Re: FM Pro Advanced Trial?

You can import the 15 tables into one Filemaker Pro file using 12 or 12 Advanced.

• 3. Re: FM Pro Advanced Trial?
              BryanCooper

thanks  both for replying.  Its easy to import one table AND let it create the table schema for me by parsing the csv file (actually an xls file

with multiple tables).  It then seems very difficult to manually create a schema one at a time inside the same database. It wants

to create one database per table which I am trying to avoid.  I read the online blurb and it appears

the 'Advanced' 12 pro does this fine.  Right now I am truely evaluating and am going over to MySql and other tools if I can't eval the 'Advanced 12'.

I can handle the $500 purchase cost but I need to kick me some tires before shelling out.

• 4. Re: FM Pro Advanced Trial?
                philmodjunk

Actually, this isn't much of an added feature in FileMaker Advanced. You can use import records in FileMaker Pro to import any number of tables, one at a time, into the same target file if you use the "new table" option in the target table drop down. Once the table is imported, you still have to recreate the needed relationships.

In Advanced, you can go to Manage | Database | Tables, select one or more tables, and click "copy". You can then open the target file, navigate to the same tab and click paste. This puts empty copies of each selected table into your file. That saves a few steps, but you still have to create the needed relationships and additional table occurrences by hand just like you did with regular FileMaker Pro.

This also does nothing to recreate the layouts, scripts and value lists that may exist in the current separate files. Importing or copy/pasting these can be very tricky to do and often require "fixing" the result to correct links broken in the process.

I'm just a fellow user and thus am not privy to why FileMaker Inc. decided not to make a trial copy available, but I would guess that they didn't want to hand out an application that could be used to create runtime files that do not need a copy of FileMaker to use. I suppose they could create a "crippled" version that demos all but the ability to create a working run time, but that would also cost them dollars and time creating and maintaining yet another version of Filemaker so that might be why they don't do that at this time.

These limitations are why I suggested looking up the third party utility FMMigrator. I'm told it does more for you than what is possible with FileMaker Advanced, but I haven't tried using it.

There are many other very valuable tools added for developer use in FileMaker Advanced.

Just the debugger and data viewer tools alone can save you many many hours of frustration when a complex script fails to perform as expected. Then you add in the ability to create custom functions that can loop recursively and custom menus that make it possible to create user interfaces that are much more user friendly and you have some major advantages here even if it doesn't help much in the Table Merging area.

The database design report is also very useful and can help a lot when looking for things that "broke" during the table merge process as well as just getting a better, searchable view of all the nuts and bolts that make up a database.