2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 2:40 PM by beamer0821

FM Pro can be used by novice users?

Title

FM Pro can be used by novice users?

Just downloaded FM Pro 12 trial version for my small business. I have an IT background and have had past experience in creating basic databases (like 10 years ago). I thought FM would be way more easier to use, I feel like its basically MS Access starting from scratch. Using the starter solutions are separate DB's i need multiple starter solutions to create what I need and I'm having trouble understanding what needs to be linked to what in the relationships properly. 

Am I just missing something? I thought this would be way easier. I cant even get started I have no idea what I'm doing. I dont know how anyone without any DB experience could use this product.

any thoughts? any tips on how to get started? i've googled and googled and googled...nothing real good besides be relearning DB all over again, I thought this product would help me avoid that and it would just be intuitive to use...

• 1. Re: FM Pro can be used by novice users?
          philmodjunk

It depends on what you want to do with the product. There really is no substitute for a good grounding in relational database design. The basic concepts that layout a good foundation for other relational DB's such as MS Access also apply here. What does not apply is using SQL and VBA to control the database like you would with MS Access. FileMaker has it's own peculiar approach and many DB users familiar with SQL find it a bit of a challenge to change gears and learn the FileMaker approach for doing the same thing.

I'd say that FileMaker IS more accessible to the novice than most database development tools, but that does not mean you can just acquire the product and start using a solution immediately. It is primarily a design tool for creating your own database solutions or for adapating an existing solution to your needs.

You may find, if you widen your search for solutions from other parties, that there is a ready made solution or one that can be adapted more easily to your needs than the starter solutions that come with FileMaker.

If I were getting started in FileMaker, I'd first acquire a book on FileMaker and prepare to spend some time reading up on the product. There are several such available. Others might prefer to using training tutorials to get up to speed.

This forum and others are also a good source of info, but they are "narrow focus" helps best suited to answering a specific question you may have where the books and tutorial materials are more "broad focus" resources that help lay the basic foundation you'll need to get started.

• 2. Re: FM Pro can be used by novice users?

thanks for the feedback!