4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 11:49 AM by isaaclhaywood

FM Pro script copy and paste

isaaclhaywood

Title

FM Pro script copy and paste

Hello,

I would like to know how to make this work.. What is happening is the second copy and paste is overwriting the first so how could I make it paste twice without erasing the first?

• 1. Re: FM Pro script copy and paste
          SteveMartino

You probably cannot, the way you are trying to do it.  Best is to use Set Variable & Set Field script steps.

• 2. Re: FM Pro script copy and paste
            isaaclhaywood

Thanks for the response.  Well that sucks as I have not yet messed around with either of those two scripts guess I know what to research now blushsmiley

Thanks!

• 3. Re: FM Pro script copy and paste
              philmodjunk

Set Field [ VL3000FIX1::Blank Field ; VL3000FIX1::Enter & " " & VL3000FIX1::Techs ]

But why would you need a script to copy data from two fields to a third in the same record?

Blank Field could be configured as either a calculation field or a text field with an auto-enter calculation that uses

enter & " " & Techs

to produce the same result without scripting

Why not to use copy and paste in a script:

Copy replaces any data the user may have previously copied to the system clipboard with data copied by the script step. This irritates and confuses users when their copied data goes "missing" after they run a FileMaker script that uses copy.

copy, paste and insert all silently fail to work when the referenced field is not physically present on the current layout. Thus, future layout changes can "break" a script that uses them and the only way you know that the script now fails is when if doesn't produce expected results.

Final Note:

When Setting up Set Field, there are two Specify buttons that must be clicked. To get Set Field [Table::Field ; Expression], add set field to your script and click the first button (specify target field). Select Table::Field from the list of fields. Do not click the specify button next to the repetition box. Click OK to close this dialog box. Now click the lower specify button (calculated result) and create the expression to the right of the semicolon (;). Do not try to type in the semicolon.

• 4. Re: FM Pro script copy and paste
                isaaclhaywood

WOW!! Phil, Thanks buddy that worked amazing!  I am still trying to hobble through this so something so simple for you is mind blowing to me.  Thanks I really appreciate the help this is going to make this project I am doing a whole lot easier!