8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2013 1:04 PM by RobertSmith_1

FM Pro v12.05 Crashes

RobertSmith_1

Title

FM Pro v12.05 Crashes

FM is crashing upon opening a database; the particular file is a little unusual in that it contains PDFs - each record is for a PDF.  I am fairly certain that I didn't have this issue until upgrading to v12.05.  The file opens normally, but then crashes as soon as I take any action.  (error message attached).

Screen_Shot_2013-11-23_at_17.20.30_.png

• 1. Re: FM Pro v12.05 Crashes
          RickWhitelaw

The first thing I would do is run a Recover on the file and see what's reported.

• 2. Re: FM Pro v12.05 Crashes
            RobertSmith_1

Sounded like a good suggestion, but alas, nothing was reported, and the recovered file also crashes FM.

But thanks for the suggestion.

• 3. Re: FM Pro v12.05 Crashes
              philmodjunk

Are you using OS 10.9? Are these PDFs in Interactive Container Fields?

If so, you may have encountered a recently identified issue with FileMaker and Mavericks.

For More Information see:     Records with a PDF file linked to an active container field cause FMP 12 to crash in OS 10.9

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 4. Re: FM Pro v12.05 Crashes
                RobertSmith_1

10.9 & Interactive Container Fields:  those fit my circumstance.  The bug link you forwarded fits with the exception that I did not recognize this issue initially. I.e., I created a database with interactive container fields, and entered about 100 records, all with Mavericks and no issues.  I recently updated my FM installation with 12.0v5, and I THINK that this is when the issue arose. I'll add these comments to the bug report.

If there are only two of us reporting this issue, how likely is it that it will be addressed?  I'm concerned.

Thanks for digging up the bug report.

Bob

• 5. Re: FM Pro v12.05 Crashes
                  philmodjunk

I didn't report it at all. I maintain the Known Bugs List system as a service to the FileMaker community and thus recognized the possible issue here. There are three people reporting the issue in that thread.

And note that TSFalcon is a tech support person working for FileMaker inc. He has confirmed the issue and entered this as an Issue in their systems. Also note that this thread documents a way to correct the issue as well.

He posted in the other thread:

@All:

Thank you for the replies.

I can confirm my testing produced identical results to Fred's testing. Product Development has also confirmed.

• 6. Re: FM Pro v12.05 Crashes
                    RobertSmith_1

Is the work-around in the blue box?  If so, I cannot understand how to implement it.  I cannot find a setting that uses the words mentioned.  (I'm very new at FM).

• 7. Re: FM Pro v12.05 Crashes
                      philmodjunk

It's not in the blue box.

The work around is described in a Nov 12 Post by TSFalcon.

Preview.app may be set to be the default reader, but are any versions of Adobe (Reader/Acrobat) installed?

During my testing, I discovered that even with Preview.app set as the default "Open with:" for PDFs, if any version of Adobe is installed, then Adobe behaves likes FileMaker's default reader.

Do you have either of the Adobe browser plugins for Safari installed: AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin & AdobePDFViewer.plugin?

After removing both of these plugins from /Library/Internet Plugin-Ins and relaunching FileMaker Pro 12.0v5, then the Preview.app properly loaded the interactive container PDFs.

• 8. Re: FM Pro v12.05 Crashes
                        RobertSmith_1

Bingo!  - so far, anyway.  To clarify, it is not necessary to remove Adobe Reader/Acrobat - at least they're still on my machine.  I did set Reader to open PDFs, and did remove the two plug-ins (AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin & AdobePDFViewer.plugin), and FM is not crashing.  I don't use Safari, so I don't know if there are any consequences to removing these two plug-ins - hopefully not.

A most sincere thank you to PhilModJunk.

Bob

(sorry about the font)