There's more than one way that you might have used to "apply the template". Can you describe this in more detail?
Oh sorry, yes! Attached is a screenshot that may help. Also, I just heard from an employee that they are having the same problem, so it is not related to my computer only.
Additional information: I tried to enter new text into the email body rather than use a template, and it strips away the spacing the second I move out of the Body field. So it's also not related to templates only.
Not all the spacing I see what looks like two space characters. Perhaps just the returns?
I'd check to see if you have one of the following:
a) An OnObjectExit or other trigger on this field
b) an auto-enter calculation defined for this field
c) OnCommitRecords might also be set up as a script trigger on this layout.
with a and c, there will be a script that needs to be fixed. With b) you'd open Manage | Database | Fields, find the field and double click it to open field options where you'd check for and correct the error in the auto-enter calculation.
Thanks for the quick response! Could any of this just happen with no one triggering them? I'm the only person with admin access, and I didn't create and new triggers or scripts.
No but neither will this just happen on its own. SOME change, how ever inadvertant was made that is removing the returns from this field. You've already determined that the template isn't the issue as you can type in text and see the returns disappear. Therefore something, after the value of the field is changed is kicking in and modifying this data.
I suppose, just to rule out possible file damage, you could take a copy of this file, recover it and see if the recovered copy shows the same behavior.
Things to keep in mind about Recover:
While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...
- The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
- Recover does not detect all problems
- Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
- Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).