8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 12:48 PM by philmodjunk

FM Scripts not running on Windows

MikeTaylor_1

Title

FM Scripts not running on Windows

I have two users who cannot use ANY scripts in the database.  This is a file we've had for about 5 years.  Once a year we make a copy of the file and it's our new database for the next fiscal year.  We've never had a problem.

I'm using FM 11.0v1 on a Mac using OSX 10.9 and everything is fine and dandy.  No issues.  Another user on a Mac is also fine.

However, I have two users on Windows (one user on Windows XP sp3 and another on Windows 8) using two different versions of FM (8.5v 1 and 11.0 v1) who cannot run any scripts.  If you start any script, it doesn't run.  I've even tried creating simple scripts that simply change a field to "9" and they still don't run.  Yet, everything works fine on the Macs.

The file we're using is hosted on FileMaker server and we open remotely.  I've tried also opening it locally and it still doesn't work on the Windows machines.

It doesn't seem to be the version of FM - I'm wondering if Windows issued some patch that affected this recently.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

• 1. Re: FM Scripts not running on Windows
          philmodjunk

We've been using FileMaker 10, 11 and 12 on windows xp and 7 without any problems.

If you create a small, brand new file with some simple scripts and try to run them, do they work on your Windows systems?

• 2. Re: FM Scripts not running on Windows
            schamblee

Do you have anti-virus software installed on these pcs?  The file may be blocked or quarantined by the anti-virus software.

• 3. Re: FM Scripts not running on Windows
              MikeTaylor_1

@PhilModJunk: I just created a brand new file with some simple scripts and they don't work on Windows.  very strange.

@SChamblee: Anti-Virus is turned off.  We can sitll access the file, but all of the scripts within it aren't working.

Thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: FM Scripts not running on Windows
                philmodjunk

Is the file open with a full access password at the time that you are testing the scripts?

• 5. Re: FM Scripts not running on Windows
                  MikeTaylor_1

@PhilModJunk Yup!  Open and with full access.

• 6. Re: FM Scripts not running on Windows
                    philmodjunk

While I doubt that this is the issue behind your scripts not working, I will note that the FileMaker versions you are reporting are all "v1". There are free updaters that can be downloaded from FileMaker that will update, for example, 11.0v1 to 11.0v3. These are bug fix updates that can correct a number of different issues with the database.

Download the following file to one of the windows computers. Do not host it from the server. Open it and click the button. Also try selecting the script from the Scripts menu. You should see a simple custom dialog appear--the only step in the script. If it does not appear than I can only conclude that there is something not right with your computers--either in the installation or in some other application that is interfering with FileMaker's correct function.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/SimpleScriptTest.fp7

• 7. Re: FM Scripts not running on Windows
                      MikeTaylor_1

@PhilModJunk - Updated to the latest version available and opened your file.  If I use the button, it doesn't work, but if I select it from the script menu, it works fine.

Very strange behavior!

Thanks for your help.  We've been debating switching to another system for these files, and I think the time may have finally come.

If you think of anything else, your input would be greatly appreciated!

• 8. Re: FM Scripts not running on Windows
                        philmodjunk

It would appear that something is interfering with the mouse click event on those computers. You might try this method--sometimes used to identify applications that might be causing FileMaker to crash to see if there might be something in play that is preventing FileMaker from "receiving" the mouse clicks:

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,

Select Run from the start menu and type in:

msconfig

Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.