2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2011 6:07 PM by IvanYazykov

FM Server 11 VS. FM 11 for a single user setup

IvanYazykov

Title

FM Server 11 VS. FM 11 for a single user setup

Hi,

We currently user FileMakerPro v11 to make certain calculations over hundreds of thousands of rows. This exercise is done by a single person on the laptop and it takes about 20 minutes for calculation to finish. Calculation is done on the dynamic set of data imported via CSV and involves intensive use of string operations (substrings, conditions, vlookups, etc).

I reviewed description of FileMaker Server and analysed the benefits of using it, however for our situation of a single person working as described, it does not seem that we will have significant benefit deploying FileMaker Server. The only benefit I see is that server hardware would be more powerful than a laptop.

For my better understanding, could you please clarify if there will be a sensible performance improvement if same calculation is done on the same hardware (just co compare calculation itself intentionally disregarding the hardware) by the FileMaker Server 11 comparing to FileMakerPro 11.

Thanks and best regards,
      Ivan

• 1. Re: FM Server 11 VS. FM 11 for a single user setup
          philmodjunk

It would be hard to answer that question without actually trying it, but I doubt it. It could easily be much slower depending on the speed of your network. Usually the "update cycle" (my terminology) between monitor screen and hard drive will be much faster when the file resides on the same computer where the user is interacting with the database than when the file resides on a different computer.

There are other benefits to having server in place. A user crash on a client computer is much less likely to damage the file. Backups can be made frequent and automatic....

You'd have to decide for yourself if these added capabilities make it worth the much higher expense...

• 2. Re: FM Server 11 VS. FM 11 for a single user setup
            IvanYazykov

PhilModJunk, thank you for your comment. I have the same understanding of situation as you outline.