5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2009 11:46 AM by philmodjunk

FM Version Differences need clarification

TheProfiler

Title

FM Version Differences need clarification

Could someone tell me the differences in the two File Maker Software Applications.

1.  File Maker Developer 5.5 

2.  File Maker Developer Tool       

Questions are -

1.  Do they require each other to work, or can they work independently?

2.  Can the Developer Tool work with version 5.0 instead of 5.5 or even higher?

3.  Is there a secondary market for the older versions?  (remaining legal with FM Pro)

4.  Are there current versions of these (two) programs that are available for purchase today?

I am confused over what they do by their title (DEVELOPER)...

Thanks in advance.

Jason

• 1. Re: FM Version Differences need clarification
          philmodjunk

The Profiler wrote:

Could someone tell me the differences in the two File Maker Software Applications.

1.  File Maker Developer 5.5 

2.  File Maker Developer Tool       

I believe these are two names for the same thing.

Current software releases of FMP advanced give you the same capabilities but with numerous upgrades and additional tools as well.

I assume you have significant reasons (perhaps cost?) for not purchasing FMP 10 adv?

FMP 10 ADV will open and convert 5.5 files as long as you know the password.

• 2. Re: FM Version Differences need clarification
            TheProfiler

Thanks for your quick response.... 

I purchased the Developer Tool 5-7 years ago and could create run time applications in Kiosk mode.  That was then and now without that software I was wondering what FM has that has replaced these older versions.     Does V 10 allow for self standing Kiosk modes?   

I am trying to remember how these things worked, so thought I would ask you experts.   I would like to create run time software programs again but no clue where to begin....

Thanks 

Jason

• 3. Re: FM Version Differences need clarification
              philmodjunk

The Profiler wrote:

Thanks for your quick response.... 

I purchased the Developer Tool 5-7 years ago and could create run time applications in Kiosk mode.  That was then and now without that software I was wondering what FM has that has replaced these older versions.     Does V 10 allow for self standing Kiosk modes?   

I am trying to remember how these things worked, so thought I would ask you experts.   I would like to create run time software programs again but no clue where to begin....

Thanks 

Jason

Yes FMP 10 adv can create run time solutions that run in Kiosk mode. I've recently made the jump from 5.5 to 10 and the move was exhiliarating. There is so much, much more that you can do with both regular and run time solutions than you could with 5.5 versions.
              • 4. Re: FM Version Differences need clarification
                TheProfiler

Really, 10 adv can do what 5.5 did but more?   I have been out of the loop and your information has been extremely helpful.

Thanks for your time.....and knowledge.

Jason

• 5. Re: FM Version Differences need clarification
                  philmodjunk

One caution:

If you convert 5.5 files to 10, be prepared to spend some time testing all the scripts and calculations. My experience shows that the conversion is pretty smooth, but there were a few scripts and calculations that didn't work perfectly after conversion until I fixed them.

In each case, the fixes were simple.