2 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2010 7:38 PM by MstrPBK

FM10 ,.. seeking seconday way of doing conditonal formating

MstrPBK

Title

FM10 ,.. seeking seconday way of doing conditonal formating

FIrst before I go into my question I fully admit that Conditional Formating of Feilds is as wonderus tool; and I love it dearly.  I have noticed in reality it does have some limiations. The biggest limitation is being able to format based on a secondary feild.  As in Feild X = [given state] so change Feild Y.  I am not seeing any object controls within the calcuiation interface.  Am I being too dense or just blinking and missing the obvious.

Specific Question: IS there a way to script from within a calulation an objects color?

Secondary concern about Conditional Formating is that after one enters a HSV value codes they are altered upon closing the menu to 'another set of numbers'; proven by reopneing the menu and seeing the altered change of the previous numbers.  One would think that what one has enter is what FM would record for later use.  I find this software behaviour is disturbing.

• 1. Re: FM10 ,.. seeking seconday way of doing conditonal formating
          comment_1

MstrPBK wrote:

The biggest limitation is being able to format based on a secondary feild. 

There is no such limitation. Change the default [Value is] selection to [Formula is] and enter your calculation, refering to any field/s you need.

MstrPBK wrote:

IS there a way to script from within a calulation an objects color?

Not quite sure what you mean here.

MstrPBK wrote:

after one enters a HSV value codes they are altered upon closing the menu to 'another set of numbers';

Filemaker uses RGB as its color space. If you use the OS color picker, the chosen color must be converted to RGB values before Filemaker can accept it. This, I believe, is done by the OS rather than by the Filemaker application itself. Different color spaces do not translate one-to-one, so you may not see the exact same values the next time you open the color picker.

• 2. Re: FM10 ,.. seeking seconday way of doing conditonal formating
            MstrPBK

Gee so I was being utterly dense!  It never dawned on me that Formula Is could have been a point at which to INSERT FORMULA LINE HERE line to referance a secondary feild.  Some one PLEASE get the (Warner Brothers) ACME mallet and pound me one for being stupid.

I will go back to also retry the RGB functuon agian.

Goes back to try again...