1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2012 2:28 PM by TimSnedden

FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?

rdulys

Title

FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?

Hiall!

Ihavesetupascripttocreateapdf, thenusingSMTPandagoogleemailaccountitwillsendanemailandattachthePDFfile.

ITWORKS!!! (sometimes)

Sometimesafterthesend, Filemakerpopsupaboxthatsays "Email(s)couldnotbesent successfully",  othertimesIgetnoerror.  Even with this ERROR box, I may still receive the email fine.

But, hereistherub... ifIlogintothegmailaccountandlookatSENTMAILitshowsalltheemailIhavesentthereasiftheemailwentoutfine even though I might have received an error on SOME of themTherecipientMAY get the email, they may not.

IcannotfindanyconsistencywiththisSMTPemailsend. IhavesomeonewithandAOLaccount, whoIsenttheemail3times, 3timesgmailshowsitwent, heNEVERreceived1ofthem (yes, hecheckedhisspamfolder).

Hasanyoneelsehadbetterluckthanmewiththis??? IsthereanotherFREEsmtpservertotrythatmightprovemorereliable???

AnyinputwouldbeGREAT!

• 1. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
          rdulys

So, nobody else is having a problem with SMTP built into Filemaker 10 sending out emails???

Or, most people haven't tried it yet???

No input at all?

• 2. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
            TSGal

rdulys:

I signed up for a free Gmail account a couple of days ago to test out a problem displaying PDF attachments (Gmail does have problems displaying PDF files).  I am able to send emails via SMTP through several servers, but right now, I cannot send through Gmail's SMTP server.  Anyone else have any luck?  If so, let us know the settings for the SMTP server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
              rdulys

Mine is sending fine with the gmail settings (I will post the settings in a few minutes...)  I am just finding that it is not 100%, a few people NEVER receive the email but looking into gmail sent folder shows they 'sent' fine.

Also, don't know why Filemaker 'sometimes' says "EMail(s) could not be sent successfully" but it does show it going out in the gmail 'sent' folder AND the receipient DOES get the email!

• 4. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
                rdulys

Here are my current setting in gmail for smtp outgoing server...

SMTP Options

User Information

Name: leave empty

Email Address: leave empty

Reply-To Address: leave empty

Server Information

Outgoing SMTP Server: SMTP.gmail.com <------ Notice smtp is capitals, don't know if it is needed, just read somewhere on the forum that this might help!

Server Port: 465

Check in "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)"

Authentication: Plain Password

User Name: yourgmailusername@gmail.com

Password: yourgmailpassword

These settings seem to work for me about 95% of the time.  95% the email goes and and is received fine!  Maybe 50% of the time the email goes out fine and is received fine, but Filemaker tells me "Email(s) could not be sent seccessfully" with an ok button!  And lastly, I have 1 person who use AOL that said he NEVER received the emails I sent and I tried 4 times.  I think this may be a problem with his end.  But, why does Filemaker tell me it could not send the email sometimes, but it goes out fine???

Anyone else have anything to add to this topic???

• 5. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
                  mwc_1

Just a thought,

Try entering some VALID information in the user information area.

If you are trying to send out emails that are always 'missing' this information, it may be getting caught in a SPAM trap from other providers.

• 6. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
                    rdulys

MWC - Thanks for the reply...

That info is left blank because it is filled out in the script from calculations.

I check the sent folder in gmail and the FROM info is all filled out as it should be, then on my test emails to myself that info is filled out properly...

Any other suggestions???

• 7. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
                      mwc_1

Sorry, I don't.

I have my own email server on-site, and I haven't had problems with it.

Is is just a google thing???

• 8. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
                        rdulys

MWC - It may be a 'google' thing, but I don't know of another server that let you send outgoing mail for free...

Do you :)

~Robert

• 9. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
                          mwc_1

Could you try your ISP's email server (assuming you got an email address from them)?

That would maybe isolate the problem(s).

• 10. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
                            rdulys

TSGal:

Did you ever try out the GMAIL server with smtp settings that I posted???

I still can't figure out why FM sometimes tells me the email didn't send successfully, but it does!

• 11. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
                              TSGal

rdulys:

Sorry for the delay in responding.

No, I never did get it working.  I always received the error message that it could not be sent successfully.  Looking at the gmail account I set up, I never received a message.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
                                rdulys

TSGal wrote:

rdulys:

Sorry for the delay in responding.

No, I never did get it working.  I always received the error message that it could not be sent successfully.  Looking at the gmail account I set up, I never received a message.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

Ok, you got the error that said "Email(s) could not be sent successfully" in Filemaker - Now logon to the gmail account and see if it shows them in the sent folder.

I have just set up SMTP outgoing on one of my websites outgoing server, and so far with only a couple of test emails it seems to be working great, unlike gmails inconsistency.  I will let you know in a day or 2 after more testing.

If this IS a gmail thing, can we maybe look into why gmail has problems???  What "tells" filemaker that the email was not sent, when in fact it was???

Since gmail is the ONLY free outgoing server that I know of, it would be GREAT to get it working correctly...

• 13. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
                                  TSGal

rdulys:

Although I never got it running on my Mac, I did encounter the same problem as you on my Windows machine.

Having talked with Development and Testing, they are aware of this issue.  At this time, FileMaker does not support SMTP server that requires SSL connections, which is how the gmail SMTP server is configured.  I have forwarded your post as a suggestion to change this.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: FM10 - Send Mail using SMTP is hit and miss for me... Anyone else?
                                    rdulys

TSGal wrote:

Having talked with Development and Testing, they are aware of this issue.  At this time, FileMaker does not support SMTP server that requires SSL connections, which is how the gmail SMTP server is configured.  I have forwarded your post as a suggestion to change this.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

How can this be???  About 95% of the time it works just find with SSL checked... I see the "sent" email in the "Sent" folder on the gmail account, the person I sent it to receives it.  About 5% of the time I see the "sent" email in the "Sent" folder on the gmail account, the person I sent it to receives it, BUT I get the message that says "Email(s) could not be sent successfully".  And of those 5% I have had a couple people say they NEVER recieve the email (I don't think this is a filemaker issue, end user problem maybe)  But, it IS working!

SO, it does support SSl.  It just needs a little fine tuning!?!

I will say, I have changed it to another outgoing server that DOES NOT required ssl and it seems to be working 100% with no  "Email(s) could not be sent successfully" errors.  And it seems to send MUCH faster when there is an attachment with the email.

Please keep me posted on any updates to the SMTP.

Thanks,

1 2 Previous Next