3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 11:18 AM by FM10student

FM10 on OSX 10.8.5 - FileMaker cannot share files because another user...

FrankPottner

Title

FM10 on OSX 10.8.5 - FileMaker cannot share files because another user...

After upgrading to OSX 10.8.5 FileMaker 10 wouldn't allow Network Sharing to be turned On; always got the "FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer." error.

FM10 also wouldn't Open Remote to a file hosted by FM11 on the same computer.

To fix this problem, do the following;

- quite FM10 & FM11

- right click on FM10 app and select "Show Package Contents", do same for FM11

- copy both the "root.pem" and "server.pem" files from Contents:MacOS into the same folder in the FM10 app ("server.pem" doesn't exist in FM10 but seems to be required)

- should now be able to turn on Network Sharing in both FM10 & FM11 (not at the same time of course) and also Open Remote Files

- only issue seems to be that you can not host the file with one FM and connect to it with the other FM on the same machine

Found the fix here; http://www.sixthwave.net/2014/01/16/fix-for-filemaker-pro-10-on-osx-10-8-5s-inability-to-remote-open-databases/

Hope it saves someone else hours of wasted time.

• 1. Re: FM10 on OSX 10.8.5 - FileMaker cannot share files because another user...
          philmodjunk

It can also be found here:

For More Information see:     FMP installer does not install server.pem file

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: FM10 on OSX 10.8.5 - FileMaker cannot share files because another user...
            FrankPottner

Phil,

I downloaded the FMP Bugs.zip DB and did a search for ".pem" and found 1 record.  The record doesn't describe the symptoms and is reported as a bug in FM11 on Windows; I should say it is also flagged as affecting FM9 - 11 on both PC & Mac.

The problem is when a symptom occurs; that's what you go searching by.  I had assumed it was an OS issue since FM10 worked previously with 10.8.2 but stopped working with 10.8.5.

Searching the forums and knowledge base got me nowhere since my searches where symptom based.

It would be nice if there was a better way of finding obscure issues like this and in the same thread be able to see what ALL the affected versions of FM are.

• 3. Re: FM10 on OSX 10.8.5 - FileMaker cannot share files because another user...
              FM10student

Thank you Frank for posting this!! I don't often Post but you saved me a TON of anticipated effort. I'd like to share my experience in the hope it will help. 

I have been searching for this answer for a while. (I am using Filemaker Pro 10 on a Mac Mini Server 10.8.5) It started for me about 2months ago. 

We have 4 (FMP10) users remote accessing our DB (hosted on a Mac mini server also using a Filemaker pro10 license) on a static IP. I originally thought it was a problem w/ our network/static IP as ATT had recently sold our DSL to another company 'Frontier' about the same time( 1.5 -2months ago). and our static IP  has been 'hunting' between 5 static IP's that come off of our router. Plus noticed 2 IPv6 addresses in the network config as well. I figured something was stange and had to be the cause. I would constantly have to tell the other staff what IP the FM database was currently on. Plus in this same time frame we were all getting a 'Maximum licensed users' error message at the same time and would be all kicked off -losing any unsaved data in the process…very frustrating. 

I had been plugging along until yesterday I tried to reinstall Filemaker 10 thinking maybe some corrupted file as a shot in dark(I did not want to spend all day on tech call w/phone company!). No luck and to boot the newly installed software came up with the new error message that this thread is titled with( FileMaker cannot share files because another user…). I had not gotten that beforeso may have been more than one problem. Before finding this thread I had just finished up with a 2 hour tech support call with Frontier to try to reset/fix  After my frontier call failed to resolve the problem I started searching w/ no luck and came upon some older posts that lead me to think that it was an OS system UPDATE that was causing the problem! I had not thought about that before- but I knew that I could not upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite b/c this version of FM has been outmoded..but I never thought that an 'update' would cause the same problem so I was just about to re-install an older version of 'Mountain Lion OS' which I have on a backup drive plus the 'server' add on which would have taken a day at least! (I have a total of 3 active user accounts on the server which, if I had to do a clean install of HD to go backwards..well that would have been extra fun..)  So instead thanks to you I downloaded a copy of FM11 trial. went to package contents of both and copy and pasted the 2 new .pem's in. Works great now! Thank you Thank you.    I like having the indepence the older version gives. Filemaker is trying to get  us to upgrade and get on a re occurring payment plan. But this older version as I suspect for many of us works FINE hopefully it will continue. As Far as I can tell - FM10 will not work beyond 10.8.4 without modification and will NOT work properly for sharing with anything higher than 10.8.5 (Yosemite or Mavericks) on the 'Hosted' computer. I think you may be OK on a remote user computer(I have had Mavericks/Yosemite on my home iMac w/FM10 on it w/ no trouble for past 6 months (-minus what I described here which was on all users w/ diff OS's)  Anyway, I know this was a bit of a ramble, but I hope it helps others who have been frustrated and want to keep using the software they may have spent a lot of $ on and want to keep using.  cheers. :)