5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2010 10:12 AM by mikefrey

FM11 Charts

dgoldst2

Title

FM11 Charts

I am trying to create a simple line chart with two variables (Y1,Y2) displayed as ordinates against a common abcissa (X).  I find there is little useful documentation.

I created a small test database with three numeric fields and populated the records with small integers.  I sorted on one field and then tried to generate a chart with the sorted field used as the X axis.  I set up the Y1 and Y2 fields as Y axis variables and tried to generate a polyline plot with a legend.  I found no way to  move the legend off to one side where it "typically appears", and the labels assigned in the legend were instances of field values and NOT field names.

Has anyone found useful documentation or seen a similar result?  I wonder about the other chart types but have not yet tried them.....

• 1. Re: FM11 Charts
          Greg

You should be able to add additional Y axis values by selecting the Y axis in chart setup and then the plus sign to add a new Y axis value and point to where it will be coming from.

I just did it for a simple Actual vs Planned Sales chart and it works great.

greg

• 2. Re: FM11 Charts
            dgoldst2

Thanks for your reply; but the problem is not quite as you presumed.

I had no trouble adding the second Y axis variable.  The problem was with the X axis.  My data rows are not evenly spaced and have numeric values.  The problem seems related to that fact.  Excel has the same problem on the abscissa.  The values must be text to show properly and are equally spaced.

• 3. Re: FM11 Charts
              Greg

This probably will ot help you but in my case I rotated the x axis labels to 45 degrees and I was able to display long values.

greg

• 4. Re: FM11 Charts
                (O_O)

Just wondering, is the X axis that you are plotting evenly spaced out in point value?

ie : does X = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5?  or does X = 1, 5, 7, 8, 12?

What it sounds like is that later, in which case using some calculation in the chart and doing some interpolation ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpolation ) may need to happen in order to plot the values to the way that you want to show it.  The chart is evenly spacing per record, so the value of the x axis will be based on what you designate as x.

• 5. Re: FM11 Charts
                  mikefrey
                  Did you ever find a solution to the Legend Labels reflecting data, rather than the Field name? I am having the same problem :(