9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 12:41 PM by philmodjunk

FM11Adv Keeps asking me to Save Changes with this Layout??

yandg

Title

FM11Adv Keeps asking me to Save Changes with this Layout??

Hi,

Have just created a simple table for clients that i am using to update and get rid of duplicates on around 9000 records.

When i change from form view of my layout to Table view by clicking the buttons filemaker places on the menu bar, filemaker keeps asking 'do i want to save changes to this layout

I havent changed the layout or am i even in edit layout mode.

Any ideas anyone ?

Mike'

• 1. Re: FM11Adv Keeps asking me to Save Changes with this Layout??
          philmodjunk

I gather you are connected to a file hosted by another copy of filemaker pro or filemaker server.

Changing the view is treated as a layout change. If you save the change, other users will now see this layout open in the view you've just specified.

• 2. Re: FM11Adv Keeps asking me to Save Changes with this Layout??
            yandg

I was just going to say 'No' i;m working on a file i have just made in FM11 Adv, so its on my machine.

BUT i have FM sharing enabled so i can check from another pc in another office...

Would this cause this error??

I haven't come across this previously when sharing another file we are setting up, similar scenario, i have the file on my p,c and i work from here and occasionally from the other P.C.  

Thanks again.

Mike

• 3. Re: FM11Adv Keeps asking me to Save Changes with this Layout??
              philmodjunk

I have my known bugs database open in filemaker 11 adv on a windows xp sp3 platform with sharing turned on but with the file open only on my machine. Switching the view does not trigger this message.

I assume you have the file open with a full access password?

Perhaps some minor file corruption has occurred. Test a brand new file and see if you get the same message when you switch the view.

You can also run a recover on your file and see what happens though I don't recommend using the recovered file even if the recover fixes this issue if you can possibly replace the file with an undamaged back up copy.

• 4. Re: FM11Adv Keeps asking me to Save Changes with this Layout??
                yandg

Yes i have full access rights, not in the office at moment so cant try till later. 

Just trying to replicate on another machine to see what happens.

It must be something i have done!!  as other files dont exhibit this error.

I can start again with the back up or blank file and import data again.

will try as you suggest

Mike

• 5. Re: FM11Adv Keeps asking me to Save Changes with this Layout??
                  yandg

Found out how but why ?

I had the file open and also shared, i didnt realise my colleague had actually opened the file also (had been minimised) on the other pc.

Couldnt get it to show this error until i logged in on the other PC aswell.

But why does it ask us this if we havn't changed any thing? Only in browse mode now and only switching from table view to form view or vice versa.

We dont even have to update the record for the error to appear on either PC.  It doesnt appear to matter if you reply with a NO or a YES to the pop up.

Have just tried another file, shared and opened on each machine and this doesnt show the error.

Trying the back up or a blank copy and import records again to see what happens.

Mike

• 6. Re: FM11Adv Keeps asking me to Save Changes with this Layout??
                    yandg

Have just tried a copy of this file and it works fine.

So whatever is happening is only when the file is shared and active (although not in use)

The copy works as the other file i have tried and i can switch from table to form with no pop up

It would be nice to know why this happens although eventually our files will be on FMS11, if this makes any differrence.

i am setting up another 'test' file to see if i can reproduce the pop up.

Pretty sure its something i have done!!!

Mike

• 7. Re: FM11Adv Keeps asking me to Save Changes with this Layout??
                      philmodjunk

"Found out how but why ?

I had the file open and also shared, i didnt realise my colleague had actually opened the file also (had been minimised) on the other pc."

That is indeed the reason, the presence of a second user linked to your shared file. Changing the view IS a layout change and it's asking if you want the layout to open to the new view as it's default when you or another viewer next view this layout. If you are the only user, filemaker assumes you want the view change to "stick" and doesn't ask for confirmation.

• 8. Re: FM11Adv Keeps asking me to Save Changes with this Layout??
                        yandg

Ok thanks for this info, it just seems that this pop up is going to be a 'pain' in that even if only 2 people are looking at the same file (ie not even updating) and they want to switch between form view and table list view this pop up keeps appearing every time you switch.

If i make my own 'table list' like form layout and script a link to this to change, would it also happen here ??

thanks for the info

Mike

• 9. Re: FM11Adv Keeps asking me to Save Changes with this Layout??
                          philmodjunk

Having one layout for list view and a second layout for table view is probably the simplest way to avoid this pop-up. You can, of course, put a button on both layouts that take the user to the other layout to change the "view". For your table view layout, you may need to change settings in Layout Setup... to expose a header where you can put the button.