6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 6:58 AM by philmodjunk

FM12 Buffalo Storage

FrankMuscato

Title

FM12 Buffalo Storage

Hello Long time FM5 user switched to FM12, 2 license Windows Xp and Win 8. Having problems sharing files stored on Buffalo Linkstation. Worked fine under FM5.

Will this work under FM12 peer to peer ?

• 1. Re: FM12 Buffalo Storage
          philmodjunk

What is a Buffalo LInkstation?

Are you opening the files first with a copy of FileMaker Pro or Server and then your other users use Open Remote to open them from their copies of FIleMaker Pro? (That is both the recommended method for FileMaker 5 and 12.)

• 2. Re: FM12 Buffalo Storage
            schamblee

It is recommend not to use shared type drives with filemaker databases because it can lead to databases corruption.  You have the chance of several people trying to open the database at the same time. In filemaker the host computer opens the databases and then the client computers (user) use open remote to open the database.

• 3. Re: FM12 Buffalo Storage
              FrankMuscato

Sorry a buffalo link station is a Network Storage Drive.

Under fm5 I stored the FM file on the buffalo drive under a shared folder.

I could open these files from any computer on the lan,  and any other users could access these under the host function.

With version 12 I can access the files from any computer on the lan,  but they cannot be shared.

• 4. Re: FM12 Buffalo Storage
                schamblee

I know what a buffalo link is and it is not recommend to share a filemaker databases in that manner.  As I stated above you run the risk of more than one user attempting to opening the databases which can cause file corruption.  It's not that a filemaker databases cannot be store on a network drive it just not recommend.   If two user try to open the databases from the shared drive then file can become corrupt.  Filemaker has it own networking / sharing built in.  The host computer opens the database and the client use open remote.

• 5. Re: FM12 Buffalo Storage
                  FrankMuscato

To S chamblee I appreciate your answer. I have used FM5 on the network with Buffalm storage for many years without 1 Datbase Error.

In my circumstances FM totally takes the storage device out of the picture, therefore causing me to leave unneccessary PC's on all the time.

Using the Buffalo drive, was so simple, especially for routine backups.  This is a step backwards in Small Office Work environment. It did not make any difference who logged in first etc.

Wish there was a workaround, but i will survive.

• 6. Re: FM12 Buffalo Storage
                    philmodjunk

I have used FM5 on the network with Buffalm storage for many years without 1 Datbase Error.

Then you were lucky. This is not the recommended way to share any version of FileMaker and risked damaging your file.