3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 4:27 PM by philmodjunk

FM12 email script via client not working on Windows 8

theother1

Title

FM12 email script via client not working on Windows 8

Since I updated from W7 to Windows 8 the email script stopped working.

I use the 'via email client' option. What I want is that the email addess field from FM db is put into the 'to' field of the client.

But I only see the email windows from client with nothing in the 'to' field. This is very frustrating. In fact no information gets passed on from FM to the client, whatever I try.

I even paid for the FM11 to FM12 upgrade, because FM11 was not supported with W8. To my great disappointment this feature did not work on W8 either and I wasted all that $.

I basically use the script, whenever I click on an email address field in the db, the client opens with a blank email with the 'to' email address already filled in.

Anyone knowing how to do this or when it gets fixed? Sending via SMTP is no option as I want to send from my client in this case.

thanks!

• 1. Re: FM12 email script via client not working on Windows 8
          philmodjunk

Can you post your script?

And upload a screen shot of the Send Mail dialog from that script?

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
          3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
          5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.

And did you actually try installing and running FileMaker 11 on Windows 8? WIndows 8 wasn't around at the time FileMaker 11 was released so FileMaker can't identify it as a supported OS, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work in W8. I haven't seen any posts that I recall that say it won't work.

• 2. Re: FM12 email script via client not working on Windows 8
            theother1

Hi

It's the default filemaker email script that you can assign to a button. I attached a screenshot.

Yes, I had FM11 on W8. Didn't work, then I upgraded to FM12 with the same result. Before I had FM11 on W7 and the script was fine.

I've seen a few posts from people saying that email script is broken, but not much lately, which made me wonder...

I even tried to use a fixed text instead of the fm field in the script to test it today. It does not get transmitted to the client either.

thanks

• 3. Re: FM12 email script via client not working on Windows 8
              philmodjunk

"It (fileMaker 11) didn't work" The send mail step didn't work or were there other problems?

And what is the default email client application installed on your system?

And where is the button located on the layout shown in the background? If it is located in portal, is it a portal to People? If it is not located in a portal, is "People" listed in Layout Setup | Show records from?

My best guess is that there are issues with the email client application on your system and this might affect both FileMaker 11 and 12 if that is the case.