5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 9:00 AM by philmodjunk

FM12 only beeps when attempting to import records

DouglasCourter

Title

FM12 only beeps when attempting to import records

I am trying to import an Excel spreadsheet into an existing database. After I select the proper file, I don't get to the screen where I can match the fields. All it does is beep anytime I attempt to click anywhere in the FM screen. I let it sit for several minutes with no change. I can not even close the program, I need to stop it using Task Manager. I am using FM12 with Win 7. Thanks for your ideas.

• 1. Re: FM12 only beeps when attempting to import records
          philmodjunk

I assume that this was by selecting Import Records | File from the File menu?

And clicking Cancel doesn't exit back to the main FileMaker window?

Sounds like you have an issue with one of the following:

a) a damaged file

b) a bad install of FileMaker

c) an issue with your computer is interfering with FileMaker--such as a hard drive that needs maintenance/repair via a utility such as ChkDsk (windows).

Try creating a brand new file. With a simple table of just a few fields.

Try importing from your excel file into it. Try importing from a completely different Excel file also.

If you can import from your excel file into this test file, it is likely that your other file is damaged. Run a recover on it and see what is reported. If the test file has the same behavior--even when attempting to import from a different file, the issue would appear to be b) or c) and you can try re-installing FileMaker and/or running utilities on your computer to check for problems with your hard drive or file permissions.

(It's also not impossible that another application installed on your computer could interfere and produce this issue, though that seems much less likely to be a possible cause.)

• 2. Re: FM12 only beeps when attempting to import records
            DouglasCourter

Yes, that is how I get to the problem area. Here is what I've tried. I created a small database with three fields. I created a spreadsheet from scratch with a some data. I tried to import the new spreadsheet into the new database. Same problem. I found out that I can get out by pressing Escape. I then reinstalled FM12 from the website. Same problem. Other thoughts? I'm thinking of upgrading to FM13, so maybe the problem will just go away.

• 3. Re: FM12 only beeps when attempting to import records
              philmodjunk

Yet if this were a problem specific to FileMaker 12, I would expect Report an Issue would be flooded with issue reports describing this issue and it is not. But you can download the 30 day free trial of FMP 13 and see what you get. I also do not see any indication in your post that you have investigated the other suggested issues that I listed.

You are welcome to post an issue report in Report an Issue to see what the FileMaker Techs have to say...

• 4. Re: FM12 only beeps when attempting to import records
                DouglasCourter

I'm sorry. I thought I had tried most of your other suggestions. To eliminate the FM file being corrupt I created a brand new FM file with a few fields and tried it with the existing Excel file. Same problem. I created a brand new Excel file with a few fields and tried it in both the old and new FM file. Same problem. I did a Recover on the existing FM file. It found no errors. I did a Repair install of FM. No difference. Chkdsk didn't show any problems with my drive. I'm not sure how to see if there is any interference with other programs running on my computer. I think I will try to Tech side now. Thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: FM12 only beeps when attempting to import records
                  philmodjunk

You had not mentioned running ChkDsk til this last post. You might also try creating a brand new user account on your computer and see if that makes a difference and you could try testing this on a completely different computer if you have access to one with FileMaker Installed on it.

There is also this trick:

To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,

Select Run from the start menu and type in:

msconfig

Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit. (Try putting back one at a time until the problem re-appears...)