1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 11:42 AM by philmodjunk

FM13 Keeps asking Remote user to Save Changes with this Layout??

flovelett

Title

FM13 Keeps asking Remote user to Save Changes with this Layout??

This week I set up my first multi-user database--for a church food pantry with a single remote user.

Everything seemed to work OK in a brief network test yesterday, but FM keeps on displaying a message box: "Save Changes with this Layout?" for both users. I read a forum post about the same behavior under FM11, but am not certain that the situation applies to our database.

The remote user is a limited user running FM13 on an Win7 laptop, so this user shouldn't be even permitted to make layout changes. The database is hosted on a Win7 PC running FM Advanced 12.05.

I wasn't able to replicate the message on my home network with a test copy of the database hosted on a Win7 PC running FM Advanced 12.05 and a remote user running FM13 on a Mac (10.9.5). I tried changing the view, sorting, and performing finds, but no message box appeared.

Checking either "Yes" or "No" to "Save Changes with Layout" seems to have no effect, but I'd like to get rid of the message if possible. Most of the remote users with be volunteers with very minimal computer skills: the appearance of such a message might cause stress and panic frown

Any help greatly appreciated,

Felicia Lovelett

• 1. Re: FM13 Keeps asking Remote user to Save Changes with this Layout??
          philmodjunk

Is this a table view layout?

If it is, this is normal behavior for FileMaker if the user is adding/hiding columns or changing column width or location.

It wants to know if these changes should be saved so that the next users sees them or to keep them as a temporary change just for the current user's session.

This is a rather risky layout option for general users as they can accidentally get into trouble "losing" fields that have been resized too small and such. It's safer to set them up with a list view where they can't make such changes to the view in the first place.